Friday, July 28, 2017

Great Class Today!


My travelling buddy Nancy and I have had a fabulous time at Tennessee Quilts QuiltFest this week in Jonesborough and Johnson City, TN.  We were here primarily to take a class with Nancy Mahoney.

Nancy Mahoney - Granny's Stars
Both of us have been wanting to make Granny's Stars ever since it first appeared in Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting in July 2009.  We figured this was as good a time as any.

I will be honest with you; I had previously taken a paper piecing class with Nancy Mahoney and was not impressed with her as a teacher.  But I have always admired her designs in magazines and since I wanted so desperately to make this quilt I decided to giver her a second chance.  And am I glad I did!

Even though the original quilt was done in 30s reproduction prints, our classmates were working in all genres, from CW prints to modern.  I opted to raid my collection of pastel batiks and finished two whole 16" blocks in class.



I would have finished three blocks except I forgot to reset my needle position after lunch and my next units were too small.!

QuiltFest happens near the end of July every year and the shop owners and staff go out of their way to make the experience wonderful (not to mention the 20% discount at the shop).

Classes are held at a large church; the youth group helps tote your things and the church ladies make delicious box lunches.  Who could ask for more? Well there is more!  One of the teachers lectures during each lunch period and there are evening events all three nights, as well.

Sisters Linda and Brenda bring together an array of excellent teachers each year, a few with "national" credentials along with several regional teachers.  Seriously, you should check out their website and get on their mailing list so you can be informed of what's coming next year.

Thank you, Sisters and Staff at Tennessee Quilts for a fabulous Fest!


4 comments:

  1. Those stars are wonderful, Libby! So detailed! I like the colors you chose - especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! And I can see why you wnated to take the class! Great block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stars. I love Nancy's work. I would never have suspected that you would have not experienced at top notch class with her. I'm glad that you extended grace and mercy and were glad you did. I agree from your work that it was worth it. It appears that the entire time you were treated like queens. You deserve it. That amazing to get two blocks of that size completed and would have had a third if you hadn't had a major brain blip. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what fun! And what gorgeous blocks! I love stars anyway, and your batik beauties are absolutely wonderful! Glad you took that class so we could see stars!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.