Sunday, October 1, 2017

One Monthly Goal

OMG, It's October Already!

Somehow I let September slip by without setting one monthly goal (OMG).  Now I'm jumping right in on the first day of October so I won't forget again.

In addition to a couple of guild deadlines -- one was due in September (see what I mean?) -- my goal this month is to finish assembling blocks for Grand Illusion.

Grand Illusion
This was Bonnie Hunter's mystery in 2014, I think.  I was churning right along, keeping up with the clues until it came to the final reveal.  I disliked it so much that I just stopped then and there.

I took my color inspiration from this dotty fabric:


But the end result is pretty drab -- another reason not to finish.  The sashing pieces might have added some life, but they made no sense (in my mind) to the overall design.  So I've already upcycled the sashing pieces into another quilt.

Checkers, Anyone?

I think all the bits for the blocks are made.  At any rate, I'm going to assemble what I have, then decide on a setting.  I've seen several quilts on Pinterest where the maker strayed from the original instructions and did something different with the sashing.

So that's my very manageable OMG for October.  I encourage you to check what other q1uilters will be doing this month at Elm Street Quilts.

7 comments:

  1. I was thinking that those blocks set together just like that, with a couple of borders (maybe some plain ones alternated with HSTs or flying geese?) would look great. And be done. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Bonnie's mystery quilt and looking forward to seeing yours. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this palette. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution for sashing and what to do with your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your plan to take the colors from the polka dot fabric was a good one. The colors and fabrics DO go together. I agree with you, though, that it's missing something. The blocks together seem mushy, maybe? Could be it needs a different kind of setting. From what I've seen of them, you have to stand far back to get the pixilated version where it's not so startlingly hodge-podge. It's a Monet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny!! I put GIMQ on my UFO List for this time, too. You may think it's boring, but I think yours will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the exact same thing and put the sashing pieces in another quilt!
    I do like your blocks, but didn't love my Grand Illusion quilt, so I donated it to my quilt guild comfort quilt collection...
    hopefully someone will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very wise to take stock and do something different. For once I had all the pieces made and just continued on. Wish now I'd done something different. Oh well we all need that one ugly quilt the kids can use movie night and such.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.