Saturday, November 11, 2017

The Beginning of the End


I'm starting to get a little weepy thinking about the end of life on this hill.  There is so much to enjoy living among the treetops ... until it snows.

February 2014
Or until we want to get through Nashville during rush hour.  Where we hope to be going will have just as much wildlife, but less traffic.  Best of all, there's an established quilting community.

So it all began this week.  First item was shipping the antique walnut and curved glass china cabinet to my sister-in-law in Savannah on Monday.


We used All My Sons, and it made the trip safely in 24 hours, even though they didn't crate it as the insurance company required.  Very nice, courteous guys who apparently had lots of experience with this kind of thing.  I couldn't watch as they rolled it down our hill, though (the truck couldn't make it up).

Wednesday the masons arrived promptly at 7:30 a.m. and finished replacing brick above window lintels, adding flashing and weep holes, and tuck-pointing joints by 4 p.m.

Lower level windows in sewing room
This area has leaked into the studio for several years.  It won't be completely fixed until the master bedroom door sill is replaced and properly flashed right above the gap in this picture.

I didn't want to be sewing while the masons were knocking and banging outside my window so I worked on rearranging the dining room and filling up the chest that replaced the china cabinet.


That is, until the masons started working on the dining room windows.  Then I felt like they might think I was keeping an eye on them so I retreated to the studio where I have been working on two wheelchair quilts.


The tree guys showed up early Thursday and started working on the split tree right away.  We noticed the split in the trunk several weeks ago and feared it would break apart and fall on the driveway (and anything parked there) in a high wind.


There's NO WAY I could go up in that bucket with it bouncing and swaying in the wind!  They were very careful and considerate, coming back on Friday to do some extra pruning and to clean up their mess.  They even blew all the leaves off the driveway and out of the beds.

The painters start Monday.  We're hoping they'll work outside first since my SIL will be here for the week.  I also get to select carpet for the master bedroom on Monday.

Progress, at last!

5 comments:

  1. That is a lot of progress! Wishing you extra doses of sanity as you navigate the prep on the house. We've done that twice, it's exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of exciting but disruptive things happening at your house! Good luck with all the projects and improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said "all my sons", I thought at first that you meant it literally...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds bittersweet, Libby! I hope everything goes smoothly, and you find the new home you're hoping for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BIG, but GOOD changes, Libby!! Focus on the good(because you will bring the memories with you wherever you land.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.