Friday, February 2, 2018

One Monthly Goal - February

Magical Mystery Blocks



It's been a while since I set a formal monthly goal.  But this month I do have something significant I want to accomplish in between getting ready to move and attending two quilt retreats.  And the best motivation is a public declaration of a goal.  So here goes ...

I want to host a mystery block quilt-along in March.  Could it wait till a more convenient time for me?  Yes, but since I think the block(s) mesh well with Sarah Craig's Hands 2 Help challenge at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, I want to get it out in March.

To accomplish this goal I need to:

  1. Announce and promote the quilt-along
  2. Write up the five clues
  3. Do a practice run-through to double check my instructions
  4. Learn how to set up a linky party.
I'm well into #2 and more than halfway through #3 with the fabrics pictured above.  If I can just figure out the linky thing ...

Anyway, consider this post as addressing #1!

On five Fridays in March I will introduce a series of clues to create my Magical Mystery Blocks.  The mystery is how two different blocks can be made from the same pieces.  And the magic is in the multitude of setting options.

Each clue will take no more than 30 minutes to complete, some as few as 15 minutes.  To follow along all you will need is two fat quarters, one light and one dark, enough to make four 8" blocks.  Of course, you can make more than four blocks if you want to!  I will be providing yardage requirements for various quilt sizes as well as fabric suggestions.

This is a great block for group quilts, so tell your friends about the mystery and encourage them to work along with you using similar fabrics.  CAUTION: This block has been known to be habit-forming!

So be sure to check back here on Saturday, February 24, for complete details and cutting instructions.

Linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Patty at Elm Street Quilts.


11 comments:

  1. Sounds a fun quilt along! By the way, your fabrics are just gorgeous! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful goal. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like fun, Libby! I, too, think your fabrics are gorgeous. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alrighty then! I guess I'll go look for two FQs worth of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun Libby. I'll piece along with you. Your black and white floors in your new quilting/fabric storage area looks like a place that will provide a lot of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, you've done a good job of making me curious, Libby! That's quite a goal, but it sounds like you've figured out all the steps. I'm interested!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in. By the way I have a quilt top using those exact same fabrics. Congratulations on your new place
    Marlene
    marlene@coveredinstitches.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun with your mystery planning Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWEET!! One MORE project to add to my ever-growing list. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Addictive blocks, you say? I'm so in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you with challenging yourself to host a QAL! I've got so many things that I need to be working on that I might watch from the sidelines, but you have me intrigued when you say that it's habit-forming.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.