Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Garden


Well, the photos finally appeared in my cloud downloads so I thought I'd give you a quick view of my garden.  Every day I discover new things to enjoy in our new yard.  Below is a quiet space, sadly in need of a good cleaning, also the location of the grinder pump -- not so romantic. 

My private space
I'm hoping to use this little fenced area for raising some herbs and vegetables, safe from the deer.  Notice the rhododendron, one of many in both the front and back yards.  I discovered some other little beauties in this enclosure, too.

Columbine?
I was thrilled to find the first iris bloom ...


... then discovered another variety along the basement wall.


The patio outside my sewing room has a great view of this huge rhody ...


and a bed of peonies ...


Most of them are an ordinary pink, but I especially love this pale beauty ...


I think there is a technical term for the fuzzy/frilly center.

This may be a bed of lily of the valley ...

Lily of the valley?
What do you think?  Maybe they will be in bloom by the time I get back to the house in the morning.  We've spent the weekend at House 1, packing.  No report yet on how the inspections went on Thursday and Friday.

Oh, I did drive up to Bowling Green, KY on Saturday to attend a meeting of the Midwest Fabric Study Group.  We got to see a great collection of antique quilts in the collection of the Western Kentucky University museum.  I'll show them in a separate post.

Have a great week, Y'all!

8 comments:

  1. It looks as though you’re going to have a beautiful garden in the new house, Libby. Your pictures are great and I look forward to seeing more as the season progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby, I think that the pale peony with the slightly pink center is a Sarah Bernhardt. I have some in my yard too. I just love them. It is such a pretty garden that you have. :-) Sara in AL (ohsirius7athotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yard looks gorgeous! I bet it is fun to see what surprises have popped up in the gardens. I just love the fence and gate in the one photo. It looks like a peaceful place to sit. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quiet space looks so inviting...even if you think it needs a good cleaning! All the lovely flowers, oh my, and I would say your yellow ones are Columbine. We have purple ones growing here in the border next to the north side of our house and they seem to be doing quite well this year (not a normal plant for SoCal). They started as a seed packet of mixed colors, reseed themselves and only purple grow now. I'm not an attentive gardner - can't bear being out in the heat much. My irises are done - best showing in 22+ years (not saying much). Your second photo of iris is a very interesting one. Love the Rhodies and the peonies, neither of which grow here. Thank you for sharing your garden...would be nice to sit awhile on that bench :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to discover plants in your new place. I love the gate and bench in the quiet space. I bet that peony is very fragrant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty garden you have - I agree the yellow is columbine;I have loads in flower but none that colour, all reds, pinks, purples, but they self-seed and new variations come up every year. How exciting to be watching and finding out what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have some beauties in that garden. Nice to have a fence to protect from the deer. Just soak up the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful spot to enjoy your morning coffee in the spring and early summer mornings. Hope the inspections went well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.