Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Antique Quilt Parade

Greetings from Bowling Green, KY

For many years I have been a member of the Midwest Fabric Study Group whose primary purpose is the study of antique quilts and textiles.  I know, Middle Tennessee is not in the Midwest, nor is Bowling Green, for that matter. But since a few of us are members of both MFSG and either the Kentucky or Tennessee study group, we combined meetings this month to enjoy the special exhibit in the Richardson Quilt Gallery in The Kentucky Museum on the campus of Western Kentucky University.

In the special quilt exhibit hall, Kentucky Museum
Most of the quilts in the museum's collection were gifts of a single person.  The quilts on exhibit range from the 1820s to the 1970s.  The exhibit changes periodically.

From the collection of The Kentucky Museum
I especially like that they display many quilts on antique beds.

Pine Burr - collection of The Kentucky Museum

From the collection of the Kentucky Museum

I love the subtle colors and fabulous chintzes in this beauty.


We also were taken to the textile storage area to see additional quilts that were not on display.  What follows is a parade of some of the quilts and detail shots.

Supposedly over 6,000 one-inch squares in this fabulous beauty



To find a local study group near you go to http://www.quilthistory.com/study/.

6 comments:

  1. Since the workaround worked on my previous post, I'm doing it again. I sure hope Blogger gets this worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing thing to do. I love the pics you sent of the antique quilts. I cannot wait to hear about your work more in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat exhibit! I would like seeing the quilts laid out on beds, too. I'm glad the work around for comments is working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your last post, Libby. Migrating geese is wonderful, looks tricky and I've noted Deb's info to check it out. That slightly too small quilt looks magnificent. I'd like to hear what you think of those beds.
    6000 one inch squares...yikes definitely museum worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful opportunity! Thanks for sharing some of the quilts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow! How I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.