Thursday, August 22, 2019

Retreat Day 3

A Finish!

I actually had one finished project (sort of).  I say "sort of" because my plan was to make two.

14" Double Pinwheel Pillow
This pillow cover was made from a double pinwheel orphan block left over from a quilt that I think went to our former pastor and his wife (she was a Realtor who helped us find our last house which would accommodate my invalid MIL).  I did an overlapped back in the same teal fabric I used to border the block.  I should have taken a picture of the back because I am really proud of how that turned out.  Thankfully there was a guest quilter at our retreat who had experience making pillow covers who helped me with measurements!

There was a second orphan block in the reverse fabrics (that's how that double pinwheel pattern works) but I wasn't pleased with my fabric choices for that one so it remains a project for another day.  I think it would look better in a larger size so I need to get another pillow form before I start.

I also finished a flimsy that I think some little girl will really love.  This one is going to the guild's Comfort Quilt program.

Psychedelic 4-Patch Posey
Several years ago I experimented with several types of 4-Patch Posey blocks while preparing for a class I taught at a local guild.  These were made from some small (maybe 6") psychedelic panel squares.  (I wish I had made a photo of the original fabric!)  I stacked four of each and cut them into quarter-square triangles.

Panels are frequently imperfectly printed and these were particularly flimsy as well as imperfect, so I did the best that I could.  The purpose was to demo for the class, but I hated to see the blocks go to waste.  I used a lower quality purple (not because it was a charity quilt, but because it worked with my plan) so the main portion of the top is a bit wonky.  I picked some quality fabrics from my stash for the inner and outer borders to stabilize the final product.

All week I had been using pieces cut for Alycia/Quilty Girl's block drive as leaders/enders and manged to complete one block.

QOV block
My late-night project from Day 3 that carried over to today was the Manly 4-Patch I started last month.

Manly 4-Patch
I have 4 long seams left to sew and press.  I think it is going to be double size (or a very big twin).  This one will go to the Devo and Sew closet for a future need.



6 comments:

  1. Your finished cushion is pretty and the Psychedelic 4 Patch Posy going to be a lovely quilt. Love those fabrics. Love those four patches on point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really getting things done at your retreat. Great pillow and your quilt for a little girl is so fun! I love the QOV block, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - you got a lot done, even tho one pillow didn't make it ;-) Love the 4 patch posy, thsoe colors are fabulous!! and thank you for making a block - they are kinda fun right? easy to use as a leader ender!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of your projects are lovely, but not sure what makes one quilt “manly” and the other “for some little girl.” My 18 year old son’s favorite color is purple and he’d love that Psychedelic 4-patch quilt. I think anyone would — it’s beautiful! And the one you’re calling Manly 4-patch is such beautiful earthy neutrals. I think a lot of women would love that one, too. :-). Your quilts and pillow are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to work through some projects, Libby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done well on moving ahead on several projects. Love the orphan block pillow, that turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.