Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Retreat Days 1 and 2

Photos finally made it to the cloud and back so I will try to reprise my progress.

After a LONG trip back to Middle Tennessee on Monday (with stops to deposit a check, take quilts to the LAQ,  pop into Target for some last-minute items, and visit Fantastic Sams for a hair cut) I arrived shortly after noon and proceeded to settle in.

At the last minute I put a stack of little shoe-box size project boxes into the car, even though I had already packed a laundry basket with big projects -- things that needed final assembly or borders or backs.  I decided to start with the small stuff and first up was a failed One Block Wonder.  I managed to salvage the blocks by making a small wall hanging.

Aloha
(The large "dots" are not part of the quilt; they are pumpkins on the front side of the flannel-back table cloth I'm using for a design wall.)  The trials and tribulations involved with this project deserve a post of it's own so stay tuned.  I finished it Tuesday morning but discovered I didn't have enough of the intended fabric for the back ...

SO I moved on to another small project -- the remnants from the quilt I dropped off with the LAQ.

Table Runner
These fabrics always photograph as black from a distance.  They really look like this:


With the walking foot on my Baby Lock I did simple straight line quilting about 1/2" on either side of the seams.  I had hoped to count this as a finished project but didn't bring along a fabric I felt would work for the binding ... sigh.

My next project was possibly the second project I ever started in my quilting life, probably around 2002.

Tree of Life Table Topper
The blocks are totally hand pieced, but I added the sashing by machine.


I had planned to sandwich and baste, but I made a mistake in cutting the back so I have yet another unfinished project.

Check back tomorrow to see the results of Day 3.


5 comments:

  1. You have some beauties in this post. HOpefully day 3 will begin a couple of finishes your way. The best laid plans....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see what you've been working on, Libby! I liked all three. The wall-hanging looks like a great way to use those OBW blocks. I love the background fabric in table-runner - thanks for the close-up view! And your hand-pieced Tree of Life is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your four seasons Tree of Life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, goodness! The trials we quilters go through...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you made good progress on three projects, even if they didn't get all the way done.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.