Friday, July 3, 2020

Jack's in the Pond

After I expressed my concern over the complexity of Jack's Chain, Wanda/Exuberant Color suggested that I put the one finished block in a table mat and use the 9-patches in another project.


That thought kept rattling around in my head.  But what to do?  

Coincidentally, a replacement window salesman stopped by on Wednesday with the measuring guys so that he could show me the quilt he made while working for McCalls Quilting in the 90s.  Apparently all the employees have to know how to quilt, regardless of their task on the magazines.  He also brought a 1997 issue he worked on that had a Goose in the Pond quilt.


Our copy machine had been unplugged to give the measuring guys access to the window in DH's office so I snapped a quick photo with the phone.  I've always liked this block.  So today I made a sample.


And also a negative version.


The blocks will finish at 15" so it won't take many to make a whole quilt.  Now, what to do with all the stripsets I've already made ...


9 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful block, Libby! Your brights on black contrasting with the white is a great combination. I can see why those blocks appealed to you! What a fun conversation to have with a window guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked the Jack's Chain block but am still not sure I am up to the challenge. Your new blocks are beautiful, and a perfect way to repurpose the nine patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Jack's Chain - I have hand pieced quilts - queen size quilts before and that is the way I would tackle it but you have to want to do it that way :) I am thinking more of it since you posted it LOL - do you have a link to the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack's Chain is on my list, too! I, too, am hesitant to begin because of the complex design. I may need that right now, though, to give myself a different challenge. I love your block with the black and white. Beautiful! And the story of the window guy is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goose in the Pond has always been a favorite block of mine. Your 2 blocks look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Wanda... Always using her noggin'!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that Goose in the Pond block is gorgeous! Your black one is particularly yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a Jack's Chain started, though I'm mostly just cutting hexagon centers and triangles and sewing 9-patches at this point. When I feel like I have enough bits accumulated I'll start assembly!
    That Goose in the Pond will be positively scrumptious! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are the chances of a salesman having worked for McCalls quilting? I like your new plan for the 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.