Friday, August 7, 2020

I Sewed Another One!

... or two

After kitting up the remaining three churn dash center blocks for Harriet's Legacy, 

I decided to start cutting and kitting round 2 of the medallion -- a sawtooth star-in-a-star.  
And I was going to need 12 of those babies!  
I thought about simplifying the block with an economy block center ...


Kinda simplistic, don't you think?  
So I decided to give the "real" block a chance and made the center of it as designed.


A bit fiddly, some odd measurements ... What about a Plan B?  
Why not reverse Rounds 1 and 2 -- put the sawtooth SiaS in the center?  Only 4 of those required!

The catch with that plan is the size differential.  
The stars finish at 10"; the churn dashes finish at 7.5".  
I will need 16 of the smaller blocks to fit around the 20-inch center.  
And I'll need to adjust the width of the filler strip between the two rounds.
Just for fun, I stitched another one ...
I can do this!
Only eleven more to cut and kit ...

7 comments:

  1. That's an ambitious project! I like your fabric choices so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ALWAYS need to do things the hard way, Libby?!?! :P
    It seems to me that it would be SEW much simpler to just follow the PATTERN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Sawtooth Star in a Star blocks are really neat! I think you can make the design your own, and we'll call the quilt "Libby's Legacy." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are off to a great start. Are you planning to make the quilt the size shown?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with Harriet's Legacy when it came out -- I clearly recall making a special trip to a not-close-to-home supermarket to buy The Quilter magazine to get the pattern. I used the quilt photo as a computer screensaver for a while....I still have the pattern. Following your progress may be as close as I get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do this!
    (Though I like Diann's idea of a "Libby's Legacy"!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.