Friday, April 30, 2021

Urban Renewal and Nature Notes

 Don't get me wrong, my husband is very considerate and will do most anything I ask.  But when I suggested that we replace the WiFi router to improve connection to my bedroom "office," the request fell on deaf ears.  So I moved the computer to the kitchen table.

After several weeks of having to relocate the computer multiple times a day, I decided that perhaps I should move my "office" to the guest bedroom closest to the router.  (Note my MIL's appliqued kit quilts from the 60s.)

Yesterday was the day!  This involved swapping tall chests between the two guest rooms, relocating a chair to the living room, moving my desk to the guest room, and moving two chairs from the living room to the bedroom to fill the vacant office space.  Whew!  I logged over 3,000 steps just walking from one end of the house to the other a bazillion times.

But the result is worth it!

It's a little tight, but a lot less ponderous than my great-grandfather's tall chest that used to be in that spot.  And whereas I was surrounded by window blinds in the bedroom, I now have a nice view to the lake from my chair.

And if I stand at the window, I can keep tabs on the "secret garden" which obviously needs a little attention.

We have had lots of bird activity lately.  I frequently see tiny hummingbirds that have feasted on a blooming bush in the secret garden and then rest on a neighbor's tree.  They are too small to photograph, though.  We also have an aggressive robin that pecks at his own shadow in the dining room window.  I've seen cardinals and woodpeckers do that, but never robins.

I have spotted two new birds lately.  First was a belted kingfisher that possibly was on his way back north a few weeks ago.

And yesterday a rose-breasted grosbeak decided to rest a spell on our deck railing.

My photos aren't the greatest since I'm using my phone and shooting through a window, but you can get the idea.

5 comments:

  1. Rearranging rooms is a big job, but always worth it if you get a more workable space. I love that view out your window, Libby! It's great to see different birds that are passing through on their spring migration, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like the ideal spot for your office. I'll have to be watching for the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks now. They have stopped here in my yard for several years. Also the Indigo Bunting stops occasionally. It is small and the only reason I can see it under and at my feeders is because the blue is so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The view from your new office window is certainly worth all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great decision, Libby. You use the computer more often than you have guests -- and you deserve to enjoy that view!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have moved my office just for that gorgeous view! Great decision.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.