Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Epic Retreat - Day 3

Another Productive Day

Started the day by making joins on the bindings I applied on Day 1.


I knew if I didn't make myself do it first thing, it might never get done.  Only screwed up one out of the four.  Had to rip back to a seam and add a new/longer piece.  Forced myself to fix it right then and there!  I deserve a star 😀

Next up was Alycia's A-6 Mystery.


After piecing a couple more background squares I was still two 9-1/2" squares short.  I debated about taking the top row off and stealing two squares from it.  I put all the blocks on the design wall and studied it while I ate lunch.  Consulting a friend, we came up with a solution:  take two HSTs from each corner and put the two background halves together to make whole background square.  I will replace the corner background fabric with something different -- maybe a gray or maybe something entirely different.  It just seemed logical that the area on the outside of the blue and red bands could be intentionally different.

As I was working on A-6 I built a bunch of checkboards and four blocks for my not-quite-Gypsy-Wife.


These are all 6" blocks, clockwise:  Contrary Wife, Dutchman's Puzzle, Counterpane, Cotton Reels.

Tonight will be 1 Lump or 2?  Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! for getting the binding joins finished. The design of the mystery quilt is so fun. Love your colors, too. I can't wait to see all of the neutral blocks together. It's been a successful retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the Contrary Wife block looks like but is one of your HST's turned the wrong way? It just caught my eye....Love the sandy colors, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirl's right! Maybe that's why the wife is contrary.

      Delete
  3. You're right - you DO deserve a star!
    (I also was wondering if that contrary wife was supposed to be quite *that* contrary...)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.