Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lightening the Load

For the record, nothing in, nothing out this week.

But, as I reorganize my sewing "studio"/room/space I have been putting aside things that I recognize I will no longer use -- fabric included -- to go to others who could benefit. 

There's something about approaching 70 that puts a new perspective on not only what is possible in my lifetime, but also how I want to spend the remainder of my time on earth.

Don't panic, Son; there's nothing wrong with me!

One thing is fairly certain:  when MIL is gone we will be downsizing, lightening the load.  Rather than put it off till that day arrives, I've decided to tackle the project early -- and often!

I started going to the AQS Show in Paducah about 1999, anticipating that I would take up quilting after my retirement in 2001.  One of the things I have accumulated over time is PILES of magazines.  Since I had to move them in order to move the bookcase, I decided it was time to go through them all and pull out articles that I found of particular interest.

This has been a very revealing exercise, and a trip down memory lane.  I had Quilter's Newsletter Magazine back to the early 2000s.  What a hoot to see some of the pages of patterns and fabric ads I had turned down!  My taste has "matured" to say the least. 

I saw how trends in quilting have changed over the last decade. 

Some pages marked shows I wanted to visit -- some of which we actually did go to, like the Vermont Quilt Festival. 

Some pages marked products I wanted to try -- some of which I actually purchased.

But mostly this exercise has reminded me how much I have learned from QNM and how much I miss it, having given up all my subscriptions to save money and space several years ago.  I think I will renew....

While my stash report may be static today, there will be some to report out next week when I have calculated what I have pulled to give away.

Stash report this week:
     In this Week:            0.0 yards
     In year to Date:      157.25 yards
     Out this Week:          0.0 yards
     Out Year to Date:   127 yards
     Net Used 2014:      -30.25 yards

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.