Monday, June 16, 2014

More Fun With Mary's Triangles

My design wall is an indication of my preoccupation this past week -- Mary's Triangles.  As I said yesterday, my intention was to make this a leader-ender project.  Yeah, right!   I now have the combo units made and paired with the large rectangles -- enough for 160 blocks, 42 of which are already made!

Mary's Triangles

How did that happen?  I've just slapped them up on the wall as I finished them.  I think I will isolate the medium triangles into rounds of their own, but I can't be sure until I know how many medium and dark triangles I have.  I also see I have a lot of yellow accent squares -- might be time to dig into my 2-1/2" strips ......

At the end of the my tutorial I mentioned that the accent squares could be replaced with half-square triangles for a more complex look.  Imagine my delight when Bonnie Hunter provided an illustration of that on her blog Quiltville's Quips & Snips the next morning!  Take a look.

Bonnie Hunter showing Yellow Fish Rule

I don't know how she made them (or if she was the one who made them, for that matter), but those fish are Mary's Triangles!!  Aren't they fun??

If you missed my tutorial for Mary's Triangles, you can read it here.


Bop on over to Patchwork Times to see what everyone else is working on this week.




2 comments:

  1. How fun was that to see Bonnie showing a quilt that perfectly illustrates using the blocks in your tutorial? I think she read your blog :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be interested in an older book featuring designs using the unit you make with Mary's Triangles. It's from That Patchwork Place, 1994, called Designing Quilts: The Value of Value, by Suzanne Tessier Hammond. Lots of inspiring layouts. Although some of the quilts look very dated now, many of the layouts can work equally well with solids and with more contemporary fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.