Monday, June 29, 2015

A Blessing in Red

Several bloggers I follow are bird watchers, as am I.  Just wondering .... do you feel that the appearance of an unusual bird is a special blessing?

From the kitchen window one day last week, I caught sight of a bright red blur among the trees.  We have tons of cardinals, but what caught my attention was the intensity of the red color.  Then I saw distinctive black wings.

Scarlet Tanager
I can't take credit for the photo.  He was too far away to photograph.  But there is no doubt I was looking at a scarlet tanager!  A first for me.

I see from my field guide that we live at the southern limits of their summer breeding ground.  And I also realize, after looking at the pictures in the guide, that I may have seen some at the feeder which I misidentified as gold finches because the males lose their color after the summer breeding season and the females are always yellow-green.  Now that I know what to look for, I may see more!

Keep Calm
and
Count Your Blessings

Linking up with Free Motion on the River.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bird! We enjoy watching and feeding birds also Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I have ever seen this variety of bird? I do know every time I see a cardinal it is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.