Thursday, July 28, 2016

I couldn't resist!

Watermelon


Working with all this watermelon pink made me hungry for the sweet stuff.


Oh, so juicy and tasty. I'm the only one in the family who appreciates it (or can eat it) so I opted for a small container to satisfy my desire. (You'll note I finished it all in one sitting!)

Today I got the whole center assembled on Ohio Watermelon Stars and started on the borders. First, I need to explain ...


... I initially planned to use the black fabric around the 16-patch centers to create an on-point contrasting square, but I didn't think there was enough value contrast with the centers. So I opted to use the tiny star background instead.  But I had already cut a bunch of the black quarter-square triangles.

Not wanting them to go to waste ...



... 6 or 7 of them will go into each border. But I didn't have enough of the little star fabric so I picked a dot in the same tones of pink for the border.



What do you think? Does it work? Should I make the placement of the geese more spontaneous or keep them in each corner? I probably won't get back to this till Saturday so let me know what you think.



5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it, Libby! The black sashing really sets off the pink stars and the geese in the corners just finish it. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd throw in some pink geese as well.
    Glad you got to enjoy some watermelon. Summer just isn't summer without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the geese gathered in the corner. I also like the near-prints in the two backgrounds.Always fun when you can find closely related fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfect! Geese tend to travel together, so I love them in the corner. Anything more sporadic might lose focus. I haven't had watermelon in weeks - may be time to pick one up YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect background and border fabrics - the difference in scale is ideal. I like the geese in the corner. And I agree with Gayle about adding in some pink geese.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.