Sunday, June 17, 2018

Something Special

A Wedding Quilt

Even though we are getting into the final stages of moving out of House 1, I've managed to squeeze in some quality sewing time almost every day at House 2.  (I'd better get busy as W Day for GS-2 is fast approaching!)

The fact that the quilt I'm working on involves some pretty mindless sewing makes it a lot easier.  This will be the third quilt I've made from this book:  Loose Change by Kansas Troubles Quilters.


The patterns in the book are based on combinations of 5" and 10" squares, fabric frequently found in pre-cut Charm Packs and Layer Cakes (if you're using Moda).  Every manufacturer has its own terminology, but the concept is the same -- five and 10, nickels and dimes, loose change ...

I am using a line of Moda woven cottons, designed by Jen Kingwell (do you sense a theme here?).  They feel like silk, so soft.  However, I am concerned they may be too loosely woven to hold up to this technique.  We'll see.

First, a 5" square is centered on a contrasting 10" square.



There is a ruler designed to make this process easier, but the difficulty still lies in the pinked edges which make it hard to determine exactly where the 10" edge should fall.


Since the result will be somewhat scrappy, I'm not really stressing about whether the small square is exactly centered.  After top-stitching 1/4" (more or less) away from the edge of  the little square, the whole thing is cut into quarters -- in this case vertically and horizontally, but it could also be on the diagonal.


The pieces are scrambled and rearranged into 4-patch blocks.  In my case I am coordinating them by pairs, half with dark background and half with light.



Of course, value is a relative term, so sometimes my "mediums" become "dark" and sometimes they are "light."  My final setting will be 6x6 or 36 nine-inch blocks.

I purchased a Tula Pink wide back at a quilt show this weekend and I think the overall combo will suit the bride's request for something neutral.  She has very modern taste.

Now I just need to get it quilted in time!
Linking with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than housework.




14 comments:

  1. Wow -- you've got a lot on your plate right now!! And I definitely agree that quilting is more fun than housework...and moving houses work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a neat idea, Libby! Looks like it should go together quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the best rulers!! What an interesting block and technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool concept - looks like fun! After washing, this quilt will be very fringe-y and soft. I hope you'll show us how the texture turns out. The happy couple are sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did something similar with squares a while ago and it held up OK. I've also done many (round centers) 'Bullseye' quilts. The Kingwell lawns are a bit thinner than we're used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this technique being demonstrated, but haven't tried it - those raw edges make my fingers a wee bit twitchy... 8) I suspect it will be a lovely effect after washing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a great idea and will make a lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm right behind you for W Day for one of my nieces. You are well ahead of me in the quilting process. I've still got just a bag of T-shirts. YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven’t seen this design before and really like it. The pinked edges will keep the small squares from fraying, too. It will be fun to see how this comes together. Enjoy your sewing time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that you are finding the time to quilt! Your wedding quilt has lovely calm colours, perfect for someone who likes things modern and neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm anxious to see how it turns out after it is washed. I like this idea and those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun, but relatively quick project. Enjoy your stitching time. Hope you complete your move out soon. Is the old house on the market or has it already sold?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.