Monday, June 25, 2018

The nerve!

Can you believe this?

Remember all the problems I had with deer eating my day lilies at House 1?  Well, I have seen exactly ONE deer on our property since we moved into House 2 and it was headed across the lake with bigger fish to fry.

About a week ago I ventured into my secret garden on the east side of the house and noticed that we had one day lily in bloom.


At that time I noticed another group of day lilies on the other side of the secret garden, loaded with buds.  A day later when I checked on the progress ...


It's a bit difficult to see, but all the buds have been very neatly chomped off!  Apparently the HVAC guys left the gate to the garden open.  I have not seen any deer; what else might do such an expert job of decapitation?  Could it be my baby rabbit?

Meanwhile, on the other side of the secret garden the other day lily survives and thrives.


By the way, I have tried the comment fix that several Blogger folks have recommended and I would appreciate a comment to see if it works.  I feel so bad that I have missed or failed to respond to comments over the last few weeks.  Let's hope the problem is resolved and life gets back to normal.


8 comments:

  1. I'm commenting on my own post just to see if the fix works ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get your own comment? I had a hard time testing with mine, until someone else commented. So sorry about your lilies! The critters *never* with our flowers or our vegetable garden! It's so crazy -- and we're out in the middle of 105 acres -- and I know they're around. Your flowering lilies are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the fix tha “Fun with Barb” posted a few days ago and it worked for me. I’ll send you the link. Your day lilies are beautiful. I was spraying the HUGE patch of poison ivy that has grown up around one of my clumps of day lilies. 😖

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nerve of that wildlife! Day lilies must be really tasty! We don't have deer here, but lots of squirrels and bunnies. I find lots of half-eaten apples laying on the ground - I think the squirrels bite into them just to get to the seeds! Hope the comment fix is working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen day lilies that dark burgundy color - so pretty! I hope the critters leave them alone from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to my world!!! Sigh... Although, the critters seem to be eating someone else's garden this season. I even got to enjoy multiple blooms from my HUGE "pumpkin" lily that I haven't seen in 2 or 3 years! In past years, I've had the exact same experience as you with glorious buds, then... NOTHING! :o((

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the gates been closed so you've not had to deal with any more flower munchers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.