Saturday, June 9, 2018

Throw Back

Come Back

Remember this?


About this time last year I became enthralled with Jen Kingwell's "Long Time Gone" after seeing all the examples being made on other blogs.

Long Time Gone - pattern by Jen Kingwell
But I was struggling with the chaotic nature of  the totally scrappy renditions of the pattern.  My eye/mind/heart/soul requires a little more order.  So I decided to do mine in black and white with pops of color.


For about one month I couldn't pull myself away from the quilt.  I blogged about it here.

UNTIL I discovered Kingwell's Gypsy Wife.

Gypsy Wife - pattern by Jen Kingwell, quilt by Jo Ann Benedetti
I had seen several examples done in all neutrals like Jo Ann Benedetti's quilt above which appealed to my senses.   I didn't have the pattern, however, but I could see that it was made with a variety of traditional blocks in various sizes so I set about making blocks using Judy Hopkins 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks as my inspiration and my bins of neutrals as my resource.


That occupied me for the month of August and again in January after I received the "real" pattern as a Christmas gift.  And then we bought a new house and began the moving process.  GW hasn't seen the light of day since.

Looking for something "easy" to work on at Devo and Sew (i.e., no machine required), I dug out LTG and spent the entire day re-acquainting myself with the project, trying to figure out how much was done, how much already cut out, and what needed to be done to finish up.

So while it was still fresh on my mind I started back to work on Long-ER Time Gone.  It has exploded all over my still unfinished sewing room.

HSTs to trim on the cutting table
Block in progress on the sewing table
Checkerboards at the ironing station
Trying to stay organized on the "guest" sewing station

Finished parts on the design wall
Not that I don't have other more important projects that need attention ... like a wedding quilt for GS-2 and nine 12" blocks for a swap on the Alaska cruise, both due in August.

At least I'm back in the sewing room!


10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your comments and appreciate the connection I feel with all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black and white blocks are awesome, especially with the pops of yellow. Sometimes we need to let projects simmer for a while. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny - just the other day I was wondering how your Gypsy Wife was coming along and now I know. The Long Time Gone is coming along nicely and will soon be done.
    Marlene
    marlene@coveredinstitches.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun projects in progress! I really like both your B&W Long Time Gone and your neutral Gypsy Wife. Looks like your new sewing space is getting a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my post today. Sigh. I was obsessed with both Long Time Gone and Gypsy Wife much of last year :) Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing both your Kingwell quilts coming back out to play! I'm fascinated with your b/w Longer Time Gone - looking forward to watching it grow. My own LTG is all sewn together except for the final seam down the middle joining the two halves of the top, while I decide/dither how to quilt it. (Quilt-as-you-go is really appealing to me right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being back in the sewing room is achievement enough, for now. Guess I shouldn't pack up my stuff and head your way since you've taken over "my" sewing space!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are back in the swing of things. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both of those quilts too, but the chaotic mixture of fabrics kept me away from them. Good idea to make them in a more controlled colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yellow addition is a nice touch! I also like the neutral Gypsy Wife, but I don't think I'll ever get to it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.