Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Cabin Fever

Five Weeks ...

... five long weeks ago today I headed down the slippery slope to the lake at House 2 and broke my ankle.
THE slippery rock
I am truly grateful that it was not more serious (could have broken a hip, could have slid into the lake), and I'm thankful for the caring treatment I received at Cumberland County Medical Center.  Nevertheless, I feel like I've been in house arrest ever since.

The first few days while we were still at the lake I was in a temporary splint and supposed to walk with those crutches you can see in this photo.

Temporary splint
I never did master those crutches!  Thankfully we had taken my tractor seat up with us to go with a temporary sewing table setup.


This turned out to be both a blessing and a curse.  In those first couple of days, when I was sleeping on the sofa that came with the house, I was able to zip down and up the hall to the bathroom in the dark of night.

After the first visit to an orthopaedic specalist, I was put in a boot and given a walker, with instructions to keep weight off the foot, to sleep in the boot, and only remove it for bathing.


That's when we had the great idea to put the tractor seat in the big walk-in shower at House 2 so that I could reach the hand-held wand and the controls.  The first time it worked like a dream.  The second time I managed to slip off the seat, scrape my butt, and land on my tail with all my dignity out the window.

I know, that's TMI so I'll spare you the picture of my bruise; but I feel it's my public duty to warn you of the hazards of a tractor seat in the shower!  Back at House 1, I am using a teak bench in the shower.


At least it can't roll out from under my soapy behind!  After two weeks I was allowed to remove the boot for sleeping and instructed to put more weight on that foot with the boot on.


I may have taken that too literally as recently I have been toddling around the house without the walker.  My theory is, if it doesn't hurt, then it's not hurting me.  Yep, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

We've been back to the lake house twice since the accident.  I have been to the doctor twice, the grocery once. church once, longarm quilter once.   In five weeks!  Talk about cabin fever!

So I go back to the orthodoc on Friday.  Does anyone want to lay odds on whether I'm released to drive?

5 comments:

  1. I know how you're feeling! When I broke my wrist, I had to have surgery, so I didn't do much of anything for several weeks, and it drove me nuts. I'm glad you are up walking around now - hope the driving is next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's miserable. I never thought about having to manage a shower when you have a leg injury and can't stand till the SIT tore her ACL. We ended up using one of our old fabric lawn chairs so she could sit down in the walk in shower and we had to wrap her knee in cling wrap to keep the water off the stitches. That was the only way she could wash her hair for the time she had the stitches. Hope you get cleared for a more active lifestyle on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you will be foot loose and fancy free very shortly. Can you imagine what cabin fever would be like if you didn't have this great hobby?? I'm glad you are healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good healing! And if only you had broken the non-accelerator ankle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had QUITE the adventure! Be patient and you will be back to normal activities before you know it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.