Wednesday, April 25, 2018

A Mystery

No, not the quilty kind!

A real mystery.  And I hope at least one of my readers knows the answer or can point me in the right direction.

While Mr. Hillside was unloading the rental van at House 2 this morning, I decided to clear my sewing off the kitchen counter to make room for unpacking and sorting. 

Mystery stain
I had left these scraps on the granite (or granite composite) countertop after cutting pieces for my RSC sampler block a little over a week ago.  They were not stained when I left them! 

Both fabrics had been washed before cutting, probably with Gain, and dried with Bounce (please don't lecture me about fabric softener).  The iron on the ironing board showed no signs of having leaked.  The fabric was near, but not ON, the Olfa cutting mat.  The undercabinet lights were not on.  The Keurig had not leaked.  The only potential culprits I could see were a banana and an apple in a nearby bowl.  I know that apples create an off-gas as they "mature."  Could this be what happened?  And what should I do to remove the stain?

HELP!

12 comments:

  1. That is SEW weird!! Good luck with getting the stain out. Sorry to say that I have no suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not try soaking it in Oxiclean? What would you have to lose? It does great with stains on vintage fabrics. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really looks like you picked up something from the counter. The suggestion to soak it in Oxyiclean seems like a really good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought, but the stained part was not in contact with the counter, it was face up.

      Delete
  4. That is a mystery, indeed. Could someone have set something down on your fabric? I have really good results using Grandma's Secret Stain Remover on everyday laundry stains. Maybe that will work for your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No clue. Looks like a hard edge - corner? - of something set on top, then removed.
    No clue on a stain remover either, though it looks like you're getting good suggestions there from previous commenters. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of that makes no sense. My hope is that with all the above suggestions, something takes it out. Keep up that great work toward getting the move completed. It will be nice for you to just be able to take a deep breathe and know "you did it".

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all may I say how happy I am you have found a group to stitch with. I wish I could find the same here in my piece of the forest.
    As for your stain...sorry, I'm hopeless at this sort of thing. Luckily you are getting great ideas to try. I do use Oxyclean and like it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stared at the photo and stared again. I couldn't see a stain -- then I realized that what I thought was a shadow is the stain. Darned if I know from whence it came or how to remove it. Good thing that it didn't happen to an entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vintage Soak (bought at quilt shops or order online) took out stains from 1940's embroidered blocks my daughter's MIL gave me to make into a quilt for her. It was from gas heat in their house and it was YELLOW and large......and it worked. Pricey to buy but last forever almost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A mystery indeed. I hope you are able to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow !!! beautiful and so lovely work :) i really like your good idea so much.Thank for sharing.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.