Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Mountain Quiltfest

The Show - Day One

I thought it might be fun to share some of my favorites from the show today.  The show has definitely grown (in my estimation, at least) both in quilt entries and vendors.  I'll start with the big overall winners.

Large - Hand Quilted





I question the category on that one, but no denying it is beautifully executed.



This one is by my friend and fellow quilt teacher, Sue Jones.  Here is a detail from the quilt ...


More winners ...




See if you can guess what the Theme category was this year.  I'll show more tomorrow.

There were a lot of Bonnie Hunter quilts -- she is a featured teacher this year after all -- 
and the expected popular patterns and obvious guild projects, 
but overall I found the quality and originality remarkable for a medium-scale show.

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh... lovely quilts. I always enjoy seeing pix from quilt shows. Looking forward to the next installment. Thanks, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... SEW wish that I was there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been inspired to make one of those amazing applique quilts, but I do appreciate the amazing work that goes into them. They are so fun to look at! Are you taking a class with Bonnie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilts! Enjoy your class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sky photos, Libby, in past posts I mean.
    What a wonderful time you had with family and at Dollywood too, a place I have read about.
    Yes, to the magic you create in your sewing room! I'm glad they recognize what a quilter you are.
    And aren't these quilts amazing. Makes my head swim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun photos!! Those are beautiful quilts and beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the Baltimore Album always grabs my attention but I always no I could never make one with as much detail as you first photo shows - I have made some applique quilts with a lot of detail but not like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you don't mind if I comment on the Excellence in Machine Quilting award at Pigeon Forge. My guild sponsors the quilt show with Pigeon Forge. This award is based on the best machine quilting in the entire show and not just the pieced category. It is in the pieced category as it did not fit in any other category (not mixed techniques, applique, etc). It did have a small border which was why it was in pieced. I think you consider all the quilts in the show the machine workmanship was excellent. I am very interested to hear what you have to say about your classes and teachers. I'm glad you came and had a good time. Our show keeps getting better. There were 700 quilts in the show including the charity, bed turning, special exhibits. Kathie Weatherford

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.