Saturday, March 9, 2019

Some Things Defy Explanation

But I'm going to try!

Mountain Quilt Fest at Pigeon Forge, Tennessee is coming up in two weeks.  It's a quality show at a relatively new venue, hosted by a couple of quality local guilds.  It falls in the "small to medium" category in terms of size, but it attracts entries from far and wide, as well as teachers with a "national" reputation.

Having missed it last year because of the move, as well as the Unfortunate Incident on a Slippery Rock, I am looking forward to returning this year.  Inspired by the enthusiasm of some S'more friends, I signed up for a class:

Jenn's Journey
As I was thinking about what fabrics I would use, I remembered I had an aborted project that involved snails trail blocks -- Of Flowers and Snails.


My fabric choices for this one were all wrong and it didn't take me long to realize that this would become a "Hot Mess" as we say here in the South. 

Several iterations of blocks
I finished the center section of Flowers and Snails which will probably become a baby quilt (sorry no picture).  The remaining blocks were all cut, some made, some partially completed.


What if ... these unfinished blocks were the same size as required in Jenn's Journey?  SCORE!

After consultation with Mr. Lakeside, we decided that I should use a light background with the dark blue batik.  (sorry, I forgot to take a pic of my mock-up.)  Not a problem.  I would just cut some light background pieces and scavenge the dark blue from those blocks already cut.  After all, I only plan to make a 4-block wall hanging ... but, wait ...

How is it that my block, which finishes at 8 inches, only has 4 rounds of triangles and Jenn's, which also finishes at 8 inches has five???

Well, my apologies to the teacher, but I'm going to use my pre-cut blocks!  I am mainly taking this class to be with my Nashville friends (and to see if the specialty ruler is worth the investment).  I still need to decide on the fabrics for the sashing diamonds ...

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your plan for re-use!! Sorry that I'm not able to join you. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathie WeatherfordMarch 10, 2019 at 9:09 AM

    Thanks for the kind words about our guilds and the show. Kathie weatherford

    ReplyDelete
  3. always liked snails trail blocks! Bet you're having fun at the retreat

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.