Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wildlife Wednesday

Red Birds!

It's been a while since I've been able to report any new wildlife here on the lakeside.  Today I hit the jackpot!

We have the most beautiful male cardinal residing with his bride nearby.  Did you know they mate for life?  So when I saw a flash of red in the tree outside the big kitchen window, I assumed it was Mr. C visiting.  But it had unusually black wings.   And no topknot.

Scarlet Tanager
My first ever sighting of a Scarlet Tanager!  Of course, Mr. C was concerned about another red interloper in his territory and had to come check him out.

Tanager and Cardinal
And not to be outdone by these other red birds, a Purple Finch (they look like they've been dipped in cranberry juice) appeared too briefly for me to get a picture.

Gonna be a good day!


4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen a purple finch lately but normally we do get quite a few of those in the winter and continue into spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful red birds in the spring green tree. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always such a thrill to see a new bird in your yard - not everyone gets that, but I do! We have Western Tanagers here - they are also a beautiful bird. I'm hoping we'll see one again sometime this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a happy day when I spy our cardinal friend in the neighborhood. I don't think I've seen a tanager though. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.