Wednesday, October 14, 2020

A Visit to the National Quilt Museum

 It's always a pleasure to visit the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY.  I have been there many times, usually during  the AQS show in the spring or the fall, but only twice have I made the drive to JUST visit the museum as we did yesterday. 

That first visit circa 1998 was the beginning of my obsession.  Several reenacting friends and I made a day trip to Paducah, primarily to shop at Hancock's of Paducah, but we were also interested in a special exhibit at the quilt museum.  We thought we'd spend about 30 minutes at the museum and then head to Hancock's.  Well, we dragged ourselves out of the museum about 2 hours later and after lunch at one of the delightful restaurants in the downtown area and a bit of antiquing, we had exactly 30 minutes to shop before Hancock's closed.  You likely have never seen 7 people shop for fabric so fast!

Anyway, the minute I stepped into the gallery that day and saw the beautiful quilts I said, "I have to do this!"  I attended the next year's AQS show, took two classes, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Yesterday's trip was specifically to see the Suffrage Exhibit.  If you click on the link above, scroll down to the September 1 post and you can see a panoramic view of the entire exhibit.  As you scroll you will see highlights of other exhibits currently hanging.

This was a challenge by the Dakota County Star Quilters in Minnesota which they opened to others outside their guild.  I was worried that my quilt, seen at the bottom of the second panel, would be too amateurish to be accepted but I think it holds up well among the others.  

Some of the little quilts were very "artsy," and a lot of them included a slogan on the quilt itself, like this one. (Sorry, I forgot to note the maker)  

My message was a bit more subliminal -- 36 yellow rosebuds (the Suffragists' flower) in the suffrage colors of yellow/white/purple surrounding the state which provided the 36th and deciding vote on the amendment.

Alex and I both liked the message on this one by Doris Carr from Kansas City, MO.


One of my favorite quilts was this one reminiscent of the Suffrage cockades 
by Rosemary Root from South St. Paul, MN.


Here is the whole exhibit ...








7 comments:

  1. How exciting to have your quilt hung in the National Quilt Museum! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your message wasn't that subliminal. I picked up the symbolism before I read your comments :) Fabulous! I hope every woman who is eligible votes. My grandmother fought for my right to vote and I exercise it!!! I wish I could see the exhibit in Paducah. Maybe they will hold it over to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Paducah, but must go. Congrats! again on having your quilt in the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to visit Paducah to see the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love saying that name, Paducah...sounds exotic to me. Meanwhile, what a pleasure to see your quilt there hanging in an exhibit like that. Kudos to you Libby. And yes, the symbolism in yours I'm sure was not lost on those folks. How lucky to get to shop in Hancock's, albeit for a very rushed 30 minutes..fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your quilt hanging amongst such inspirational company! What a wonderful exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats again on making the exhibit. A very diverse group of quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.