Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Note to Self: Record your plan!

What's wrong with this picture?


It's not easy to see, I know, but last I heard the stitching is not supposed to go through the pin!


The thread broke, but the needle appears to be unaffected.

What doesn't show in these pictures is that the sashing strip I was attaching to the top row of Colorado Lily was not supposed to be there!  


Apparently when I was calculating if I had enough fabric for the "leaves" I didn't take into account a top and bottom sashing.  You guessed it; I'm short of leaf fabric!  I don't remember if I was thinking there are no leaves top and bottom, or if I was thinking I'd just do something different.  I didn't leave myself a note; I didn't write it down!

Well, I managed to cannibalize enough leaves from that errant row of sashing to cobble together the last horizontal row of "interior" sashing.  The top and bottom will have this different green fabric in the leaves.  


I'm nearing the finish line!

8 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your finish! It's amazing what we quilters can come up with when we have to get creative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness ... I'm amazed your machine stitched through the pin head and especially that it didn't do any visible damage to the needle! I just love the look of your Colorado Lily blocks ... this is going to be one stunning finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So frustrating! But haven't we all done that so many times?!! I'm sure you'll find a substitute green for the outer leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking at my Sunshine quilt and think I have the pattern wrong. I too am upset that I didn't write down my thoughts. Oh well, live and learn. I am glad that your machine survived sewing through that pin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops on the pin! I think having different leaves on the top and bottom won't even be noticeable. Colorado Lily is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, goodness, Libby!! This gives a whole new meaning to the warning: Don't sew over pins. Regarding writing down the plan... Where the adventure in THAT?!?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing that you didn't break a needle! I don't do a good job of keeping notes either. The closest thing I have on that front is a file in Electric Quilt that has what I was thinking in terms of layouts or pattern changes. Glad you found a solution to the missing leaf fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, goodness! I've sewn OVER pins, but not through them...
    I'm bad about leaving notes for myself, too. I'm glad you worked it out and am looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.