Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sometimes you just have to step away

 The six rows of my Colorado Lily are in twosies.  I wanted to add the top and bottom sashings to rows 1 and 6 before the last two seams.  I related the tale of my leaf shortage and my planned replacement here.

Well, after incorporating the stripey green into the top sashing, I decided it was too distracting.

The shades of green were in the same family, but the stripes were "in-your-face".  Nothing else in my stash would do so, in frustration, I decided to step away and revive a project that not only has been languishing in the project pile, but also occupying three boxes of "potential" fabrics -- the monster grey and yellow quilt for our king-size bed (shown below in no particular order).

About ten blocks were kitted up, five with the 9-patches already made, so it was pretty much mindless sewing.  Which gave me time to cogitate on my leaf options for Colorado Lily.  I decided to check the green scrap bin and, YES! There was a 4" half-WOF strip of a near-perfect replacement.


It required some strategic cutting, but I'm back in business!  Sometimes you just have to step away and give your mind some breathing room.

However, TOO much breathing room can be dangerous!  As I was drifting off to sleep last night I thought the original dotty fabric reminded me of my Asian fabrics.  Wait!  Could I possibly have any more of that fabric in my Asian drawer?  

YES!  This morning I found seven 2.5" squares.  I only need 10.  Those seven along with the one still in the abandoned top sashing and the two I couldn't find when I was cobbling together the last horizontal sashing so I threw them away ... Oh, (bleep), Alex emptied the trash last night ...

Back to Square Three.


7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see your yellow and gray quilt back. I love those blocks. Stepping away is key sometimes. No dumpster diving for you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trash men had already come by the time I discovered them gone.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha--I was just rooting through our recycling bin for a small cardboard mailing box--but my hubby had torn them all up!! No box shall remain intact in our house I guess...;000
    I've been doing a LOT of stepping away lately...my mojo wants a vacation I think...
    Hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key takeaway here is to never throw anything away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mind works in mysterious ways, my friend!! (Thanks for the chuckle.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have definitely been in the place where I just needed to back away. But what a fun project you back into! I love that ... it's going to be gorgeous on your bed, Libby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Glad you stepped away and found not one, but two suitable green prints. The yellow/gray blocks look terrific.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.