Thursday, October 22, 2020

Playing Chicken

 Do you ever play Thread Chicken or Bobbin Chicken -- 

seeing if you can finish the task before one or the other runs out?

Yesterday I was keeping an eye on the thread ...

...when the machine started making the mechanical sound it makes when the bobbin gets low.

I sewed on, keeping an eye on the thread and my stitching.  I finished the task at hand with thread to spare so I stitched on, whipping up a pile of cutoff HSTs.


In the end, I had about a foot of thread left and this much still on the bobbin.


Sometimes I win, but more often I don't 😞

How about you?

9 comments:

  1. I do that, too! It's one of my "untils" -- "I'll piece these squares until the bobbin (or this spool) runs out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. .......and there's always a feeling of triumph when both the spool and the bobbin run out at the same time. Admittedly, that doesn't happen very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always playing that game! "Can I get one more (seam, row, block) out of this bobbin?!" Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m always praying to the bobbin gods!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to get as much done as I can and often I seem to run out of bobbin thread

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen the needle go through a pin before. And you say your needle is fine which is amazing. Glad you were able to cobble together the final leaves of Churn Dash. And I've sewn for quite a while sometimes and not realized the bobbin emptied out a while back. Grrr when that happens. You were lucky and look at that lovely pile of perfect HST"S!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! Congrats on your BIG win, Libby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for your win! I do that with the bobbin. Sometimes I lose. Lucky you this time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bobbin lasts forever if you're thinking "I'll just sew till the bobbin runs out", but if your attention drifts for even a moment you'll find that the bobbin ran out about a mile and a half ago...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.