Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Shake, Shake the Ketchup Bottle

None'll come, and then a lot'll

That pretty much describes my quilting activity recently!

Last week was full of service contractor visits at the house and Nashville doctor visits for Alex.  Though I didn't accompany him for these routine annual visits, I find it hard to get seriously involved in anything while he's gone, "just in case."

I did finish those nine kitted blocks for the monster quilt and cut five more blocks on Sunday.  I measured our bed to make sure I really need 81 11-inch blocks, and yes, I do. 😟

That's about the sum total for last week.

This week has a lot scheduled, as well -- more contractors, a medical procedure for Alex, a socially distant visit with friends, and a potential shopping trip in Knoxville.  It's hard for me to immerse myself in a project when I have to work around other scheduled activities.  But I set some goals for the week and as soon as the restoration contractor left yesterday (we're having some water-damaged drywall replaced in the family room), I went about finishing Colorado Lily.  TA-DA!

The real pattern name is Churn Dash by Kim Brackett from one of her Scrap-Basket books, I think Scrap-Basket Sensations.  I call it Colorado Lily, though, because the block is very similar to the Colorado block and the friendship stars in the sashing make it look like flowers.  I  coerced my better half to be my holder in the daylight so that the colors show better.

And while I had the momentum yesterday (and an easy dinner planned) I decided to stitch the last four seams on a Halloween wall hanging that has been in progress for an embarrassing number of years.  I took advantage of my top holder while he was on the stool (he's short) to get a full view of it.

The 12" blocks are from a block swap hosted by Denise Russart/justquiltin in September 2014.  She is a very prolific pattern designer for Hoffman California Fabrics and also Electric Quilt.

I am considering appliqueing a ghost on the black center and may add side borders to make it truly twin size.  But for now it will be part of the decor on our dock for the Halloween boat parade on Saturday.

I'll leave you with a couple of pics of my blocks.





9 comments:

  1. Colorado Lily is beautiful, Libby! I didn't realize until looking at your photos just now that the "leaves" make a friendship star. Love the Halloween blocks, too - the ghosts with the pumpkin are so fun! Hope all is well with Alex. I have too many friends having (or their hubbies, including mine) having too many medical procedures these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on Colorado Lily! I can't wait to see how you will quilt it. I love the white ghost fabric on one of your Halloween blocks. Such a fun print! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun Halloween blocks! Your churn dash blocks really do look like flowers with your leaves in the sashing. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! I've admired the Lilies all along and they look wonderful as a completed top. I especially like the bear paw ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad (though probably not near as glad as you are!) that you've got your Colorado Lily finished! It's really lovely! And what a fun Halloween finish, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Colorado Lily turned out great and your Halloween blocks are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWO completed quilt tops? Yay, Libby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorado Lily is just as beautiful as I knew she would be. And I love your Halloween quilt...thanks for showing the blocks close up, so cute. Forgive me, Libby, but I'd forgotten about that grey and yellow quilt (in a recent post); I think it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.