Saturday, January 6, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2018

Week One

Angela at soscrappy announced the color for January on the first day of the month -- BLUE!  She suggested we grab from the lighter shades of our blue scraps and save the darkest ones for later in the year.

Blue Scrap Bin
A quick glance into my blue scrap bin reveals lots of options for my planned projects.  "What planned projects?" you say.  First, I will continue making chunky churn dash blocks that I started in 2017.

Chunky Churn Dash
These little gems finish at 6" so it will take a lot to make a decent sized quilts.  I don't know who to credit the block design to; I picked it up from other bloggers who were making them. (Thanks, Cathy, for pointing out it's a free Bonnie Hunter pattern)

A new project this year is The Goose is Loose, design is by Cindy Williams, a/k/a The Math Whisperer.  In her book Wait ... What?, a book of quick piecing techniques, she has a chart with cutting dimensions for a range of sizes.  So helpful.

Another blogger used this design to make RSC columns last year. Wish I could remember who. (If you recognized yourself, please let me know so I can properly credit the inspiration.)    (Thanks, Diann, it was Sandra at mmmquilts.com and it was 2016.)   I am making my columns 6" wide; the geese will be 2" high.  My goal is to make 36 units for each column.  Cindy's technique makes two at a time so it should go quickly.

And finally, I want to participate in "Squared Away," the 2018 RSC Sampler.  Angela and Mari at The Academic Quilter will introduce a new block each month.


Mari's Red Cross in blue
 I love 5x5 grid blocks.  To make things work with my previously-cut strips, I am going to be making 10" blocks.

To learn more about the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, hop over to soscrappy.


8 comments:

  1. Great plans, Libby! You know I love those Chunky Churns. I’m on the fence about the RSC Sampler, mainly because I’ve had my fill of HSTs for awhile with my Friendship Stars quilt. But the blocks sure are beautiful, aren’t they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to see the scrappy blocks everyone makes. I really like the Goose is Loose block, too. Haven't made it yet, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those migrating geese blocks, too! Sandra Walker (mmm quilts) made those last year, and the columns made a beautiful quilt! I've meaning to try making some of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those geese look like fun!
    I swapped some Chunky Churns a few years ago and we used the Bonnie Hunter pattern at Quiltville I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun projects for this year! The goose is loose is really fun. Sandra's was so cool looking when she got the flimsy assembled. Happy stitching this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great projects planned for the year. Looks like you have plenty of blocks to keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those Loosey Goosies! They look like a lot of fun to make!
    I may join in on that Squared Away adventure - I just have to decide what size to make. (My heart says the 5" size, but my head is trying to hold out for one of the larger blocks...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing one project and adding two more, you are sure to be a busy quilter!! Best of luck with the lighter side of BLUE.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.