Friday, January 5, 2018

Sunrise/Sunset

On Radnor Lake

I have been playing along with Bonnie Hunter's mystery "On Ringo Lake."  Her final setting can be seen HERE.  It is absolutely stunning, but more work than I want to invest right now.  The last thing I need is yet another unfinished mystery to go with the three I have from previous years.  So I've decided to simplify things.

From the beginning I had planned to make half the number of units which would have resulted in 25 blocks.  I also decided to use a limited number of fabrics rather than dig through a bunch of scraps cutting a few bits from each.

As the clues were released each week, I anticipated that parts would be used in groups of four so I made my units in sets of 4.


When I tried to guess what the block would look like, I came up with this arrangement:


Well, I was wrong, but I like this block.  So this is what I am working with.  You may be able to see that each fabric is the same within the block; however, each block will be different than the next.

As of this morning I have 14 of 20 blocks assembled for a 4x5 setting.


I will use the neutral fabric as sashing with aqua/brown cornerstones.

Cornerstone fabric
AND I found the perfect border fabric in my stash of batiks!


I can't decide, though, if this a sunrise or a sunset.  What do you think?  (forget that it looks like a sunflower)  Radnor Lake is a local state park so the quilt will be either "Sunrise on Radnor Lake" or "Sunset on Radnor Lake."

To be so close to a finish on a Bonnie Hunter mystery less than two weeks after the final reveal is definitely whoop-worthy.  I'm linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

10 comments:

  1. I think it's a beautiful fabric, but I can't decide if it's sunset or sunrise either! Congrats on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO pretty! I have made adjustments in BH mysteries as well - they lend themselves to that quite nicely. I can picture yours finished, and I *think* with the whitish sashing, I would see it more as a sunrise quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Libby!! What a difference the corner positioning makes. LOVE the fabrics you've chosen and your quilt is going to be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started with the plan to just make a quarter of the blocks. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I see it as a sunrise quilt too - a new opening for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your version of the block, too! Amazing how different it looks with just those four corners turned a different direction. Your colors are so pretty, and I think the sashing and border fabrics will look great with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your mystery quilt is coming together. You’re right....the border fabric is perfect! I see a sunrise in your blocks, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty - You made a good choice to use consistent fabrics for your units. Great block, nice setting plan, and I love your cornerstone and border fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love this block with the rotation of your corner blocks. Your fabrics look so soothing and fresh. Love it. Can't wait till you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rotating the corners really worked with your fabrics. I think your border looks like a sunset, but it really could be either. I'd pick your favorite, the start or the end of the day and use that as your quilt name. Congrats on keeping up, that is no small feat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunrise, sunset - could go either way. Pick the one your heart wants!
    I really like your blocks, so I may end up with two quilts. Not the first time. 8)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.