Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Retreat Day Two

Not much to show

One of the kids gave me Jen Kingwell's "Gypsy Wife" for Christmas and I decided this retreat was the perfect opportunity to get down and dirty with it.  This is the sum total of my progress:

Gypsy Wife Blocks
And to be honest, at least half of those blocks were made a couple of months ago when I spent a week in Savannah with my SIL (and when I thought I could make it without a pattern -- ha!).

I had started "Long Time Gone" back in the summer and had no problems with that Kingwell pattern.  But GW is giving me fits!  I know a lot of it is my eyesight, not being able to distinguish some of the numbers in the tiny gray print. (Forget that I misread the corned beef recipe yesterday and left out the vegetables.)  And I'm sure the distractions of the retreat aren't helping, either!  But add in the fact that almost every block in GW is different, and the instructions are mostly written (rather than graphic), and some blocks build on previous blocks (but with different dimensions) ...

Just know I'm frustrated, but determined to forge on.  Well, I really don't have much choice since this is the only other project I brought with me!  I'm going to put up a design wall tomorrow and get serious about Gypsy Wife.  You'll have to check back to see how I hold up.  My blue scrap bin may make an appearance.


4 comments:

  1. It's a challenging project! I've done two Gypsy Wife quilts, and in the end loved doing them. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your neutral blocks! Sorry to hear you're having some frustration w/ Gypsy Wife. I think there's enough flexibility in the concept that even if your blocks don't come out exactly like the pattern, with a few small filler blocks you could make yours work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to get back on track once frustration sets in, but I know you can do it. Hopefully a new day brought renewed energy and excitement for this project. Your blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just HAD to remind me about the BLUE scrap bin?!?! Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.