Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Retreat Day Three

A Little Headway

While I am still struggling -- mainly trying to settle on a process -- with "Gypsy Wife," I did make a little progress today.

GW Section 1
Section 1 was completed this morning.  And a bit of progress was made on Section 2 this afternoon.

GW Section 2 partial
Sorry about the crappy lighting in my photos; the options are limited, to say the least. 

By late in the afternoon I came to the conclusion that I really need to work on this where I can spread out (and not have to clear the kitchen counter every time there is a meal).  Also, a design wall would be very helpful in keeping track of the placement of the vertical strips and since the park has "thoughtfully screwed" photos and objects to the walls, that limits design wall locations.

My biggest frustration has nothing to do with the pattern.   Many of the blocks I made several months ago won't fit into the  template of the pattern so I am having to enlarge or "ensmall" them.  Anyway, enough excuses!  I will finish this when I get home.  I am not going to let it languish.

The one thing, the one significant thing I can say about working with Jen Kingwell's patterns is that they have opened my eyes to the ways disparate blocks can be put together into a unified whole.  I am not sorry I started on this journey.

However, tomorrow I will be working on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for January.  After dinner tonight I cut squares to make a Goose is Loose strip in BLUE.


Some Chunky Churn Dashes could make an appearance, too!  Stay tuned. 


5 comments:

  1. Hi, happy retreat! Enjoying seeing your GW come together. I have Jen’s It’s a Small World and so far have only had the nerve to look at it! But some day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to put a project aside for a few days...weeks, etc. It does look lovely though! Your tones are very soothing! Have fun at the retreat! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the Gypsy Wife quilts I see but was too cheap to buy the pattern but I have taken notes in studying all the photos, and like you, I've seen a different way to put together blocks so I may make a version of my own someday.

    I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE those Goose-y columns! Looking forward to seeing yours done in BLUE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE those Goose-y columns! Looking forward to seeing yours done in BLUE.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.