Monday, January 1, 2018

On Ringo Lake

Nearing the finish line

In recent years Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville's Quips and Snips has hosted a mystery quilt-along in the weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.  I really had not planned to participate this year, but when I saw the colors for "On Ringo Lake" -- coral, aqua, and brown -- I couldn't resist.  Besides, it's always fun to feel like you are a part of a larger quilting community when so many other quilters are working on the same project.

I started falling behind with the weekly clues at Clue 3 due to activities here at the house that restricted access to my sewing room.  Now we're in the Rapid Fire finish stage.  Clue 6 was released on Friday, Clue 7 on Saturday, and Sunday's Clue 8 revealed the block construction.  So I spent the weekend in the basement trying to catch up.

Sunset on Radnor Lake (a/k/a On Ringo Lake)
I came up with this alternate block construction while messing with the layout on my design wall and I like it.  Now that the final setting has been revealed, I believe I will continue with this block construction and a simpler setting.


I still have quite a few units to make.  I haven't made the diamonds and may skip them altogether.  Or use them in a border.

10 comments:

  1. These are beautiful blocks, and look great with that setting. I am still making the parts and pieces for the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blocks and the consistent fabrics in each one. I wish I had done that, too. I’m going to start with the layout of the mystery and see how it looks in person. You’ve been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the exact same thing as I thought it balanced the block. I'm going with the plain sashing also as the other is too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This evening I got all the Clue 6 units sewn. Tomorrow I plan to press them. Maybe I'll get the double-geese units sewn, too. I think that the blocks will be set on point. There are 50 of them, which works out to 5 rows of 6 and 4 rows of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we have to calm it down, don’t we? I haven’t decided yet how I’ll lay mine out - but will probably use the Bonnie sashing cuz I’ve already made the half-chevrons. Love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo! I like your blocks, too. I may try them both ways and then decide which I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like these colours a lot. I haven't seen the original blocks but what you have done looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your simplification idea for ORL. Now I might just play around, like you have done, with the layout. And maybe mine will become two smaller quilts.... oh the possibilities! Thanks for the stroke of inspiration and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks worked out beautifully. You did a great job of keeping up. I tried both your block construction and Bonnie's. After a week on the design wall, I finally decided to stick with Bonnie's.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.