Sunday, June 2, 2019

As Orange Fades into the Sunset ...

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Monthly Roundup

Early in the month I was able to knock off most of my ongoing projects.  First to get finished were eight Chandelier blocks.

Chandelier blocks
These blocks are easy to whip up quickly because I am using the same background for all the colors and already have a bunch cut. 

Next I tackled my three Double Shot (Double X) blocks over several days.

Double Shot in orange
These blocks use nothing but 2-1/2" strips; the hardest part is finding a suitable background fabric in the beige/tan family.

I added a new project to my list after I rounded out my collection of Squared Away Sampler blocks.  I'm calling these blocks Buckeye Stars since they are made by combining 4 Buckeye blocks.

Buckeye Stars
 It occurs to me that these are very similar to the Scrap Jar Stars I made a couple of years ago.  I was able to make three in orange because I already had the units made for an abandoned project.  My goal is to make three each month; we'll see how that pans out.  I'm in no hurry.  I see ways that I can get ahead with the 4-patches and HSTs which will make assembly a lot easier.

And NOW, we're on to dark blue.  How fortunate that I decided about halfway through May to dig out Dawn to Dusk (from More Nickel Quilts).  I plugged along steadily every day and I'm pleased to say I have enough blocks for a nice-sized throw (approx. 50x60)

Dawn to Dusk
I love the secondary pattern these blocks form.  I used a BUNCH of 2.5" blue strips.  Some I used only once; others I used twice.  I think there is only one fabric I used three times.  The background is a white Grunge.  Now to settle on a nice arrangement of the mixed values.  That will be my goal for June.

I'll be linking up with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than housework.  And, if it's not too late, I'll link with Angela at Soscrappy.


5 comments:

  1. Great progress on your RSC projects. I need to land on a new block design...there are just too many designs to choose from. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chandelier blocks are showing up on lots of blogs - and I like them, too! (Better put them on my list!) They're going to make a great design! And those Buckeye Stars are really neat - they are very similar to a Scrap Jar Star, but I like how you can make them by making the Buckeye block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress on all of your projects, Libby. I really like the orange blocks, but that blue Dawn to Dusk... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Dawn to Dusk! I'm going to have to pull that book and look at that one. I have lots of 2.5" strips that I don't tend to use as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful projects- buckeye stars is a great idea

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.