Wednesday, April 13, 2016

WIP Wednesday

OMG Update

The Big Scrap Reorganization project is wrapping up -- for now. All the strips have been pulled, pressed, trimmed, and sorted from two 70-gallon plastic totes. I will attack the larger pieces later. The dining room table is still a mess, though.

Piles on Piles
I realized that I had a couple of deadlines that needed to be addressed this week.
  1. Make a block (or two) for a friend who is putting together a charity auction quilt.
  2. Prepare backs for a couple of quilts going to the longarm quilter Thursday.
  3. Start construction of a modern mini that is due the second half of May.
Let's see how I'm doing ....

1.  In November members of the Midwest Fabric Study Group each received a bundle of repro FQs with instructions to make at least one 12" block using one of the FQs supplemented by something from ones stash, due before April 19. Well, it slipped my mind until I started cleaning up and ran across the FQs. I used the Buckeye Beauty block.

6" Buckeye Beauty

Four blocks together make a 12" block.

12" Block with black star points
And reversing color placement yields another.

12" Block with red star points
These two blocks went in the mail to Indiana this morning, along with a few extra 4-patches. One deadline down.

2.  I need a back for the Classic 4-Patch.

Classic 4-Patch
I am undecided which other top I will be taking but since my LAQ is about 30 miles away I usually try to take at least two tops to be quilted.

3. I made quite a bit of progress on the Modern Mini last night. I have been vacillating about a design since my exchange partner said she likes everything. She did say her favorite colors are eggplant, lime, aqua, and orange. Somewhere I got it in my head that she said she liked traditional with a modern twist -- oh, wait, that was me! Regardless, I settled on a traditional star with a second smaller star inside.

I made this block several years ago -- 16 of them, to be exact -- for a block swap. This pattern for a 12" block was in Quilters Newsletter Magazine, July/Aug 2005.   My mini can be no bigger than 24" square. Rather than put four blocks together, I decided to just enlarge the pattern to 18" and add a border of the same background fabric so it floats.  Doing the math has been challenging -- thank goodness for Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers! This is what I have accomplished so far.

Mini under construction
Lighting on the floor is not the greatest but even in person I'm not sure the smaller star stands out enough. I may use a brighter color or I may change the large star center to the darker eggplant fabric to provide more contrast. I want to at least have the flimsy done so I can show it at the Music City Modern Quilt Guild meeting on Saturday. The quilting will be my May OMG.


  1. That double star is an intriguing looking pattern! And I love how your buckeyes combine into a block. Looks like you're handily meeting your goals!

  2. It is not even the middle of the month and see all the progress you have made - congratulations.

  3. I saw the double star block the other day and thought I'd like to make it some day. Your block is subtle and pretty. It lets my eye rest on it and really see the stars. Great job on your scrap taming!


Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.