Monday, December 18, 2017

ORL Part 4



When Bonnie Hunter released Clue 4 of her current Mystery "On Ringo Lake" Friday, I knew I wouldn't have much time to devote to it.  But I wanted to experiment with an idea that came to me when I was writing about Mary's Triangles earlier last week.

Mary's Triangles
Clue 4 is exactly like the pieced half of one of Mary's Triangles.

Make two Mary's Triangles blocks at a time
Illustration by That Patchwork Place
Sew I have worked out a way to do Clue 4.  I started with two blue 2" squares and two brown rectangles, 2" x 3".  I stitched one of each together, right sides together.

Sew square to rectangle

I pressed toward the brown ...

Press toward brown
... then stitched the two units together with the blue squares on opposite ends.

Stitch two units together
I snipped the seam at the mid-point so that I could press toward the brown again.

Snip seam at mid-pint
Last, I cut the triangles, using my 6-1/2" Easy Angle Ruler, making sure to allow for a quarter-inch seam.

Cut pieced triangle
I repeated on the other side.


There's about 1/4" of waste so I think, technically, I could have cut my rectangle a bit smaller but when I tried 2-3/4" it came out too small and I didn't want to have to find 7/8" on my ruler!

It's not particularly quicker, but I feel like I get a more accurate triangle than cutting little brown triangles with the Easy Angle ruler and sewing them onto the square.

It does end up with one flat corner; I'm hoping that won't create a problem.  Nevertheless, I probably won't have time to do many before we find out where they will be used.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shortcut. it seems to have fewer steps making this block your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t made any of these units yet and am going to try your method. Thanks!! Maybe I won’t have to trim as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this out yesterday, and I'm now a fan. Cutting lots of rectangles is a whole lot easier than cutting lots of triangles! (Plus it makes it so I can't sew the triangle facing the wrong way...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting technique! I was Gayle @ Mangofeet's retelling of your method. I actually had good success with using my Essential Triangle Ruler, but thanks for sharing (since I know that not everyone has one of those!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.