Sunday, December 31, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2017 Wrap-up

How did I do?

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) is hosted each year by Angela at soscrappy.  She announces a color each month and participants try to make a dent in their scraps by making something with scraps of that color.  It is a wonderful way to purposefully work through your scraps; if you haven't participated in the past, I suggest you give it a try.  Angela will kick off the 2018 challenge in the next few days.

I managed to stay with the program this year, doing better some months than others.  That was limited not only by the time I had to devote to it, but also the amount of my scraps in any given color.  Throughout 2017 I had three ongoing projects:

1.  Chunky Churn Dash blocks.

Chunky Churn Dash blocks - RSC2017
Some months I made as few as 2 (light neutral and orange); one month I made 20 (green).  Even though I made a total of 66 blocks, at 6" finished I still need a few to make a quilt.  They are so cute and fun to make that I will keep them in my queue for 2018.

2.  Triangle Nines.

Triangle Nines - RSC2017
My plan was to incorporate both light and dark triangles of the month's color, but I found that I am very short of lights in most colors.  Not sure if I will continue making these in 2018, but adding light colors to my stash will certainly be an objective throughout the year.

3.  Scrap Jar Stars.

Scrap Jar Star - RSC2017
These were fun and relatively easy to make so I was able to able to make two or three every month.  I opted not to make any in brown because I didn't think they would play nicely with the other blocks, plus I had enough to make a complete quilt -- almost.

Scrap Jar Stars before border
I have selected and cut a border fabric, visible on the upper right; just haven't had an opportunity to get it properly measured and attached.  That will be my first task at my upcoming Rock Island Retreat.

Thank you, Angela, for inspiring so many of us to organize and use our scraps!

7 comments:

  1. Libby, your Scrap Jar Stars flimsy is looking good! I like the border fabric, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good collection of blocks. Particularly like the Scrap Jar Stars blocks - you have put them together beautifully. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the scrap jar star blocks the best and love your quilt. The secondary design is so fun! Great border fabric, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Co gratulations on the Scrap Jar Stars. They look fabulous. Enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know I've admired SJS all year -- and I really, really like them now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely projects, all! I especially like your Chunky Churns and think those have lots of possibilities. You had a great year, and I look forward to playing with you and the RSC in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun projects. I love the Jar Stars, but the triangle 9's are fun too. That would be a great stash buster. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on for 2018.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.