Thursday, December 7, 2017

Week 3 Progress (or is it Week 4?)

I have my kitchen back!


Though it's not a beauty shot, please note the new Christmas towels -- the sum total of my Christmas decor to-date.  I have reclaimed the drawers, but since this photo the counter has been crammed with china from the dining room sideboard so it still looks like everything's been turned upside down.😞

The day-to-day schedule is still being altered day to day.  I just take a deep breathe and move on.  Yesterday afternoon I started some Christmas shopping, wandered the aisles of our new Michael's, picked up a couple things at Home Depot, and went way overboard at BB&B.  Since I was just looking for kitchen towels, I only took 3 coupons in with me.  Then I started picking up stocking stuffers, big mistake.  Oh, well, it felt good to get out of the house and get started on Christmas.

The exterior door from the deck into the master bedroom was replaced on Monday.


With the old door removed, we saw that the wood under the sill had completely deteriorated!  Which explains the leaks that damaged the studio walls directly underneath.


Once they had reinforced the sill and added metal flashing, the carpenter left his son-in-law to complete the door installation.  He was very fastidious but the poor kid was still doing the final caulking after dark.  It couldn't wait until morning because we were expecting heavy windblown rain overnight.  And boy did it rain!  I'm happy to report no leakage anywhere!

With the door installed, painting could begin in the master bedroom.  We are using the same light tan in the entire house.  In most rooms this is a shade darker than the "builder's white" of the walls.  In the master it is considerably lighter than the original color and has really brightened up that room.  Carpet is currently scheduled to be installed on Friday -- fingers crossed.

I've treated myself to a little stitching by making some more flying geese for Radnor Lake.


I've currently done 80% of the geese I'll need for a half-size quilt.  I'm waiting to see how I like it before I commit to anything bigger.  I had to take a break from the geese, however, to work on a secret Santa project with a deadline.  I'll wait to post photos after the gifting on Saturday.



4 comments:

  1. I especially love your new door. Eventually I would like to have actual doors rather than patio doors here in the dining area. Isn't it great to have your kitchen back and esp. in time for Christmas.
    I too like to take a look in those same stores and the 20% coupons for BB&B are great. They have such a variety of things and good quality too.
    Meanwhile, Happy stitching/baking, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... More therapy stitching. Breathe in, breathe out. Sew a seam and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new door (and no more leaks!)! Looking forward to seeing your secret projects! The flying geese look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the remodeling is moving along nicely. Congrats on the new door and no leaks! Your Christmas preparations are wa-a-ay ahead of mine; I haven't even thought about stocking stuffers yet.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.