Sunday, May 17, 2020

Jumping Ahead

and procrastinating

I know, The Colorful Fabriholic says I should be progrestinating, but sometimes just a glimpse of something will pull me down a squirrel hole.  It started with this picture in BH&G Quilt Sampler (Fall/Winter 2019).


Which made me think of this project in Australian Patchwork and Quilting ( no date ) that I fell in love with years ago ...

Love Everlasting
Which got me thinking about this beautiful fat quarter I planned to use in the center ...


I even had my architect husband draw up a 16-inch octagon for me way back then. Well, one thing led to another and even though the project box was in the "L"s, I just had to take a peak to refresh my memory on what I had planned.  And, before I knew it, I was knee-deep into a detour.  I couldn't help myself!

After I cut the FQ into the octagon, I was flummoxed by what appeared to be impossible math. Turns out it's just 45-degree angles!  But before I came to that realization, I added triangles to the corners to make a square, then added a 1" frame of the same fabric as the corners.  In the project box I found a lot of checkerboard units already made.


OK.  But my mind kept going back to the inspiration photos that were set on point.  So I came up with this solution.



Next up will be a frame of red, probably to finish at 1".  (I am doing my best to keep everything in an even denomination to keep the math manageable.) Then I'm thinking about flying geese and/or log cabins, based on the inspiration photos.  This will become a wall hanging over my family room fireplace.  Hopefully soon!  Stay tuned.

Linking with Cynthia at Oh Scrap!




9 comments:

  1. Yep! Definitely needs a bit more red for its intended purpose. Detours are OK, as long as you are working through a project. Even better if you find your way back to quilting your way through the alphabet! It'a a great series of posts, Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is really lovely! The flying geese to make it "on point" really work well. Very smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Libby! It's amazing how just adding the flying geese to the checker board frame totally changed the look. I'm looking forward to seeing the red in the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful starter print. The FG outside the border make it snap. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful distraction, I think! Your inspiration fabric is lovely, and I like what you did with the flying geese in the border. I think the next border of red sounds like the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do love a medallion! Gorgeous start!
    And I love your magical on-point setting - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love what you did here! Amazing and beautiful. I don't know how you could ever doubt your abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea! I have a FQ that I could use like this that I’d like to feature. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.