Saturday, May 30, 2020

Lost and Found

New Zealand Treasures

I couldn't take it any longer!  I had to restore some order to the fabric/cutting room.  So I started by separating out bits on the cutting table that could be trashed from strips that could go into strip bins.  Larger pieces of fabric were refolded and scraps that didn't match the folded fabric went into my scrap bins.

Then I turned my attention to the work table in the middle of the room.


I re-shelved some fabrics that I had been auditioning.  I put the pieces of an abandoned project in a giveaway bag.  Eventually I came to the bottom of the pile and I realized I had never shown you the treasures I picked up in New Zealand while on the TOALT in January.

At our first port on the cruise around NZ, we took an excursion train up into the hills around Dunedin on the south island.  We got off the train while the engine was being moved to the back end of the train for the trip back down.  A little flea market had been set up along the rail siding and my attention immediately went to a sign that said QUILTS!  Most everything she had would be available in the US, but I did manage to snag a panel that features the wildlife and Maori graphic designs of NZ.


I don't know what I will do with this ... maybe border it as-is, or incorporate it into something useful like a bag.

We finally found a "real" quilt shop in Nelson on one of our last port stops on the north island.  I did something I rarely do -- I bought a kit.


The irony is the fabric is designed by Valori Wells from Washington  Oregon state, and the fabrics are mostly Robert Kaufman.  I knew it would be hard to find a group of fabrics that went together as well as the one in the shop sample so I bit the bullet.  I think this one will go with me on retreat in a couple of weeks.





7 comments:

  1. The panel is amazing and whatever you make will always bring back the wonderful memories of your trip. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart move on buying that kit!! Enjoy the upcoming retreat. Are you sure that's a safe thing to do this soon after lockdown? I'm still debating over a retreat all the way in October!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great panel. There are many possibilities for it. I have bought kits on trips, too. It's a great way to remember a trip and everything is already gathered to make it. I really like the fabrics in your kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, cleaning up like that! I like the look of that fabric from the kit - are you planning to make the quilt from the pattern that came with it? Looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to shake up your world, but Valori Wells is from Oregon, not Washington. Her mother Jean Wells was the driving force of the Sisters OR outdoor quilt show. Valori is now taking over the reins. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blues in that kit - smart of you to get it! And whatever you do with the NZ panel, you;ll always remember your TOALT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific panel -- conducive to some really interesting borders. It's a nice assortment of blues, too -- even if the fabric was made elsewhere, the fact that you got them on TOALT makes them the souvenir.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.