Monday, May 25, 2020

What Now?

A 60/120 Tutorial

But first, an update on Everlasting Love (needs a better name).  After a couple of days making log cabins in various sizes I abandoned that idea.


I tried big centers -- bad proportion.  I tried little centers -- proportion was better but they just weren't doing anything for me.  After consulting with DH, we decided to try flying geese and I am MUCH happier, actually downright excited!


I have most of the geese made and a couple of borders pieced together.  Could be ready for quilting in a day or two.

So what to do now?  After I got all the project boxes in alpha order, I realized that several of the projects were "that" close to being finished.  I made a list of nine and pulled one to work on.  It's a Stack 'n' Whack that a reader (I think Ramona/Doodlebugs) named Starry Night because of the blue and yellow fabric that looks like Van Gogh's painting Starry Night.

Starry Night
The hexagons are formed from six identical 60-degree triangles.  The hexies didn't have enough variety to put together in One Block Wonder fashion so I went with a Stack 'n' Whack setting option that features each block individually with 60-degree background triangles as separators.  Two triangles are attached to opposite sides of the hexagon.  Some background triangles on the side blocks had to be relocated or cut in half to make a more rectangular arrangement.


The rows are assembled on the diagonal, similar to an on-point block construction.  But it took a lot more thought (on my part).  Then I was faced with filling in the edges.  The pattern in the SnW book suggested more triangles and half triangles, but that would have been a lot of seams.  So I decided to fill in with long 120-degree triangles.  First I measured the width of a half hexagon.


They finish at roughly 3.5" so I added 1/2" to make 4".  The distance from point to point on the hexies is roughly 12.5".


So I added 1/5" to make 13".  I cut a rectangle of background fabric at  4" x 13", then folded in half.  With my 60-degree triangle ruler I put the center line on the edge of the folded rectangle with the point at the folded edge. (If you are trying this, your measurements will depend on the size of your stacked triangles.)


The fabric under the ruler is waste.  I stitched one side of the angle to the end of a diagonal row before I stitched the rows to one another.  And, voila!

Side setting triangles
A couple of borders to be added and I'll have another finished top in 2020!




8 comments:

  1. The geese ROCK!! Your triangle math hurts my head, Libby. Hoping for TWO more completed quilt tops SOON! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "starry night" :-) beautiful ... and your figure quilt will be great. Greetings to you from Viola.
    I will get my sewing machine out and start some sewing projects ... hope our beautiful fabric shop will open soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flying geese are the right choice for your next round. Thanks for the tutorial on making the side triangles. Usually it's trial and error for me! Love this stack and whack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are exactly right about those flying geese for the border on Everlasting Love. That's going to be beautiful! And so is Starry Night - I love blue and yellow together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The geese are a great addition. Can you point me to a picture of the OBW fabric before it was cut? The recombinations are always so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree, Flying Geese enhance the medallion quilt MUCH better than the log cabins, I think because they echo the shape of the points in the medallion. You know, repetition, one of the design principles...
    Starry Night looks good -Thanks for the setting triangle tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everlasting is drop dead gorgeous! So fabulous and different. Cant wait to see that one done and hanging up.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.