Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Other G

and on to the Hs

I have been doing a little bit on Glorified 9-Patch each day.  I still needed quite a few 9-Ps for the "light" blocks so that is where I have put my attention.


The other G in my alphabet of UFOs is Gypsy Wife.

I started this project, designed by Australian Jen Kingwell, back in August 2017 using all neutrals.  I was "shooting from the hip" at that time, making up my own blocks as I went along.  I was gifted a "real" pattern that Christmas so I really count January 2018 as my start date.  I am also using some miscellaneous orphan blocks to replace some of the blocks in the pattern.  Upon investigation, I saw that I had completed 4 of the 10 sections.  Because of the continuous vertical strips that are interrupted by blocks at various intervals, it really takes a large design wall (or floor) to keep things organized.


I found a bit of design wall space yesterday so I added the 5th section and started putting some miscellaneous blocks in place.  I am hoping to add a section each week which means that in a month I may have a finished flimsy!  The blocks are heavier at the top and sparser at the bottom, so the task should be easier as I go.

Now, on to H ...

Happy Surprise is a design by Jo and Kelli Kramer/Jo's Country Junction for AP&Q.  I started it as soon as I saw the picture on Jo's blog; but I never bought the magazine so I am trying to figure out how it is constructed on my own.  I'm using a Jelly Roll of Moda Grunge to make the HSTs.  Lots of HSTs!

Harriet's Legacy is a medallion-style pattern offered by Wyndham Fabrics to benefit the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center.  I'm using 19th Century reproduction prints.

High Def is an interesting modern take on bargello.  A look inside the box reveals that all the strata have been made and some cut!

Haunted House is a Little Bits paper pieced project that could very well be finished by the time I write about it.

All these projects deserve their own post so, rather than having this post run on like a Russian war novel, I will save them for another day.

Linking with Cynthia at Oh Scrap!


9 comments:

  1. I love your soft GW. She is finally calm and serene. Gorgeous! Love how you follow the alphabet in your projects. I follow an Excel sheet with color coding. I shall try to put them in alphabetical order, just for fun. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how beautiful neutrals can be when placed all together. You are getting a lot done during this time of "sew"cail distancing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Gypsy Wife! Lovely neutrals. I like your organizing bins too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a retired librarian, I enthusiastically endorse putting projects in alphabetical order! (Although I can't say I have ever done it!) I really like the little pops of yellow in your neutral gypsy wife. By the way, you can order the magazine with the Happy Surprises pattern (American Patchwork and Quilting) online. It only cost me $7.49 to subscribe for a whole year, plus you immediately get access to it online. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure those are Libby's Post-It notes, Sylvia. :o))

      Delete
    2. Oops! I have to laugh about this one! Guess it's a little senior-itis creeping in. Anyway, it's a very nice start to the quilt, even without the yellow post it notes!

      Delete
  5. I was always intrigued by your Gypsy Wife in neutrals! So glad you have gotten it back out again! Happy Mother's Day, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great to see this project back again. Great idea to set small goals to get it finished. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Harriet's Legacy and made a special trip to the store to buy the magazine issue with the pattern. It's in the file somewhere....I've admired your neutral GW since the begining. Glad you've brought it out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.