Friday, May 8, 2020

You might want to sit down

and hold on to your hat

Libby is sewing curves!

The first G in my alphabetic countdown is Glorified 9-Patch.
(Also known as Improved 9-patch)
According to the label on my box, this project dates to 2011!


I took a class with Toby Lischko at Tennessee Quilts Fest.


I used a strip roll of batiks as my starting point
to complement this batik I had chosen for the setting "bikini" triangles and border.


Side setting triangle
I had forgotten how much progress I had made back in 2011.
I love the circular illusion the two blocks make when placed together.

Finished blocks
The two blocks are made the same; they are just positive/negative versions of the same block.
From the number of pieces already cut, apparently I had a grand plan to make a queen/king quilt.
(Either that, or two twins ...)

After seeing what is already complete, I question why it's taken nine years to get back to it.
I have decided to at least finish the blocks for the size in the pattern.


Nine-patches are made.  Now they just need the "ellipses" added.
I REALLY don't remember adding all the dark ones!
So I tried another one.


There is not supposed to be a dart at the apex of the ellipse ...

Darts and Dinks
... or a dink on the skinny end.
Apparently I had the wrong piece on top.

I did better on the next attempt (no photo); ellipse on the bottom, slow stitching.
This is going to be a LONG process.
I've set my goal to finish two every day.

So in the meantime, I'll show you Thursday's sunrise ...

Sunrise 5/7/20
... and an evening visitor ...

Great Blue Heron
Linking with Finished or Not Friday.

10 comments:

  1. that is lovely I like that quilt and the end photo of the bird is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I'm so impressed with how organized your UFO's are... in boxes with names and dates. Second, I am really impressed that you're sewing curves! I love this pattern and have not seen it before. The batiks are beautiful, too. I especially like the pop of color made by the aqua block. Gorgeous sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your G9P looks great. You'll conquer those curves yet! Always sew with the part that looks like a scoop on top of the one that looks like a bump (I can never remember concave and convex). My hand Piecing Group has made so many G9P's over the years that we chuckle each time a new member thinks they're giving us a new block to work on. Gorgeous sunrise photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SEW glad that you are back to working your way thru the alphabet! I have always loved the Glorified 9-Patch pattern. Best of luck with the finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I glanced at the photo in my blog feed and saw your title "you might want to sit down" my first thought was "oh no she has coronavirus!" Glad that isn't the case! I love your batiks and those blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be a great quilt!!!! LOVE the bird and the sunrise

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a big project! Here’s wishing you luck! 2 blocks a day seems like a doable goal! It’s going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt will be glorious!
    I have an Improved 9-Patch that my grandmother hand-pieced and hand-quilted. (She made all her quilts that way) She'd had me draft the pattern for her since her efforts to do that were making her grumpy and she knew I liked geometry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- you're diving DEEP into your UFO stash. Does Toby's pattern use custom acrylic templates? I know that there are patterns that use appliqued half-melons rather than pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really interesting pattern! I'm glad you pulled it out to work on again, and looking forward to seeing it cone together!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.