Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Ambition and Improvisation

Well, my plan to complete a 3-yard quilt in one Devo/Sew day was a little ambitious, but not a total failure.  I was able to get all the blocks made from precut strips and three two-row sections together between 9:30 and 2:30 (with a one-hour lunch break) but never got to the borders.

My scheme was that we, as a group, could kit up these quick and easy quilts using fabrics we have in the church closet so that they would be ready for a charity sew day.  After discussing my idea with the group leaders, we decided that maybe we'd be better served using the portion of the three yards that would have been dedicated to the borders for additional blocks since borders are everybody's nemesis.  We like for our encouragement quilts to be at least 50 x 60.

Here's a close-up of the fabrics.  I fussy cut the red toile floral at 8-1/2".

What does one do when she plans to spend the day sewing, but somehow leaves the spool spindle at home?

She improvises with a soda straw!



3 comments:

  1. What size do the 3 yard quilts come 9ut without borders? I dislike sewing on borders immensely, but sometimes you just have to! Your toile worked nicely for that design. And great sewing machine hack, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your straw idea, you clever woman!!! I have never known what to do with some toile that was given to me...I'm using your idea! You are a wealth of knowledge today!!! Thanks and have a blessed St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty daffodils and those cardinals…wow. I need to do a clean out of my fridge too. Great quilting idea and I definitely have a few fabrics in the “where did they come from” category. I have a large lot of red toile that I don’t know what to do with. I like what you did here. You guys are so organized.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.