Tuesday, March 8, 2022

My Lenten Challenge


Last week, at the beginning of Lent, I challenged myself to make one block each day from the 40 blocks in the Women of the Bible Quilt.  

(For those who might be interested, the book of devotions and quilt patterns is offered by Stitchin' Tree Quilts in Woodbine Iowa.  It is available in print and PDF versions.)



I considered working in the suggested layout sections, rather than numerical order, but I realized that I am using many of the same fabrics in the first few blocks I made and it might look unbalanced if  similar fabrics are bunched together in sections of the quilt.  So I am reverting to numerical order for a more even fabric distribution of the fat quarter collections I'm using.

Well, rather than bore you with a daily report on my progress, I decided to do a weekly recap.  

Wednesday - Sarah

Thursday- Hagar

Friday - Delilah

Saturday - Joanna 


Sunday - Eve  

I can't wait to get to some of these women I've never heard of, like Asenath or Shiprah!  As I said before, there is no connection (that I can discern, anyway) between the block and the woman, but the devotional thoughts are worthwhile.

I will add that the pattern directions appear to be aimed at a non-quilter, one who might not have all the tools at hand that we quilters have.  I have changed measurements in many cases to use the Easy Angle for HSTs or to simplify construction by strip piecing.  I am also considering downsizing the 15" blocks to 10" so that I won't have to make all the filler blocks.

4 comments:

  1. It's going to be a beautiful quilt. I'm looking forward to your weekly updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really pretty blocks - love your colors! Glad you are liking the devotions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are off to a really good start, Libby. Pretty blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto for me. These blocks are adorable in these colours, Libby.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.