Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wildlife Wednesday

 On Sunday, as I was eating breakfast I glanced out the window and saw this:

Cedar Waxwings in transit from somewhere South stopped in our tree to rest and take advantage of the holly berries in the nearby tree.  I wish I had been outside when they arrived or left because they make the most interesting z-z-z-ing sound when they fly in a flock.

While the previous week's snow did a number on our fields of daffodils ...

... it didn't damage much else.  We have lots of little grape hyacinths popping up in the back garden ...

... and the Lenten Roses are blooming in the front garden right on time.

Looking out of my sewing room window, these pink blooms drew my attention ...

... apparently something in the azalea/rhododendron family, but doesn't look exactly like either.

I was excited to see that my peonies popped up overnight.

Time to get the stakes in place before they get too big and floppy.


5 comments:

  1. I have only seen Cedar Wax Wings a couple times and wish they came through my area. Once I was sitting in a restaurant eating and looked out the window and they were there on a holly bush next to the place I took a photo and had to look them up as I didn't know the name, they do not come through my area often and I usually miss them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when the cedar wax wings make a stop in our yard! We haven't seen them for a few years now. The neighbor had to take down her tree that had the berries they like unfortunately. They would fly between her tree and ours. Pretty blooms at your house - mine are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the garden tour, Libby! Looking forward to seeing more as the season progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen a Cedar Waxwing. I had Orioles go through one year and most years have a few Rose Breasted Grosbeaks. I see Indigos most years but only 2 or 3 of them. I think with you near water more migrating birds will probably stop at your place. I'm deep in residential area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that blue line you are using for your blocks, Libby. Love that Hannah block. Meanwhile, I would love to see some cedar waxwings...going to be a while yet here. Also the flowers...we do have bare ground but it is still too cold and I don't want freezing rain to take them which happens here often. Sigh.But spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.