Friday, January 5, 2024

New Year, New Quilt

Have you ever seen a pattern you just HAVE TO make?  Or bought fabric that says USE ME NOW?

Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  I don't remember when or where I bought the pattern 1863, but it's been haunting me ever since.  (Unfortunately I have misplaced the cover so can't show you what it's supposed to look like.)

And then on a recent trip to a local quilt shop I bought the fabric in the center of this block which has been the inspiration for the entire quilt.

It's a weird shade of blue, tends toward the grey side, and I've had a devil of a time finding something to go with.  I did find one semi-solid, but had to rely on the other colors in the focus fabric to curate a collection of fabric for the project.  

After an unfortunate incident on New Year's Day when I thought I might have broken a big toe (fortunately just sprained),  I decided to take it easy at Devo on Tuesday and, rather than tote a machine and all the accoutrements, I used my time to cut out the new quilt.  Once home, I headed down to the studio to get a start..

I see that I need to up the blue.


6 comments:

  1. Love the palette - I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. I hope you find the right blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your toe - that's no fun! Hope it heals quickly. You've got me curious about the new quilt project, too. That inspiration fabric is really pretty! Some more blue would definitely be fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the sprained toe won't slow you down too much. It's fun to find that one fabric that just speaks to you. Maybe not fun for the UFO list, but you've got a great start on a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my on the toe - glad it wasn't broken! What a pretty fabric to base your quilt on - I love your palette and the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! But the SIS blocks are very promising. I know what you mean about falling in love with a print and then finding out that it doesn't quite "go." (Happens a lot with grays that are too brown or too pewter.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely new project, Libby! (But did you HAVE to remind me of the fabric collection that has been waiting its turn for YEARS with no pattern in mind??)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.