Monday, January 13, 2014

Dinosaur #2 - Nosegay

Continuing with my Dinosaur Saga -- gee, wonder if I could develop a game for my smart phone .... if I had a smart phone .... but I digress ...
Nosegay


The second oldest project in my UFO collection is Nosegay.

The back story:

When I first joined a guild back in 2001, a couple of ladies encouraged me to hand piece.  Since that's all my mother ever did, it seemed "natural."  I had hand-pieced some 4-patch squares -- not so successfully, I might add -- when recreating a 19th century farm wife persona.  Silly Me felt I was ready to attack something more advanced.  In my defense, I did resort to Ardco templates to cut and mark my pieces -- a modern convenience which greatly improved my 1/4" seam, but not enough to give me a set of perfect 12" blocks!

Ardco Nosegay Templates

I went with 30s fabrics, not my favorites to work with then, still not my favorites (could that have something to do with this?).  After finishing 30 blocks I had the inspiration to put plain setting squares between and I would have two twins spreads for the antique beds in the yellow guest room.  Of course that meant buying more of the pale yellow background which, being Kona, was not difficult to get.  I laid out the blocks (neither photographed nor marked) and began machine sewing the blocks to the setting squares.  I seem to remember realizing that I would be short one or two blocks with this plan and at that point it went back in the box.

Fast Forward to 2014

We no longer have the house with the yellow guest room and the antique beds are in storage because commercial mattresses are too big for them.  I have no record of what I had planned, have no idea if I even have enough fabric to continue.  And I find many of the blocks butt-ugly.

As I see it, my options are:
  1. Continue with the plan for a pair of twins.
  2. Combine the prettier blocks into one larger quilt, maybe even eliminating the plain setting squares.
  3. Make a couple of bed runners for gifts and pass the remaining blocks on to someone else.
Option 3 is sounding pretty good.  At least it would be manageable.  However, before I decide what to do I will take this project with me to retreat today and hope I can come home with a scheme of some sort.


Check back here next Saturday for a full retreat report.



To see what others are working on this week, hop on over to Judy's place at Patchwork Times.













6 comments:

  1. In Bonnie Hunter's book String Fling there are two settings for you to consider - Daylilies and Charlotte's Baskets. I was gifted with 30's Dresden Plate blocks and used the Daylilies pattern. I love the result. Of course finding someone who wants the blocks is always a good answer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marlene. I think that's the only BH book I don't own, but I'm sure one of my friends will have it. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blocks! I want to make these blocks, but I'm not sure I could do them justice. Bed runners would be great Christmas presents. You could always combine them with a another vintagey block like baskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Sorry to be so long in replying--just got home yesterday. You should try it. This block is very easy when hand-pieced. I'd never try it on the machine!

      Delete
  4. Well, I see with your history, that you would think they are bad, but i think they are amazing!! Handwork is so fulfilling, even when you hate it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love handwork. I need to get back to doing it. Just with fabrics I love. ;-)

      Delete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.