Friday, March 9, 2018

Magical Mystery - Clue 3

Large Triangle Squares 

Welcome to Clue 3 of our Magical Mystery Block Quilt-Along.  
If you are just coming to the party, you can catch up here and here and here.


Remember:  The pieces combine to make two different blocks (that IS the mystery, after all):  
Block A and Block B.  
All seams are 1/4"


For this clue you will be using the 5" x 5" squares.

Pair a light large square with a dark large square, right sides together.
Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the back of the light square.
Stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line.


Then cut apart on the drawn line.


Press all toward the dark fabric.


You should now have four large triangle squares.
Trim these to 4-1/2" square, making sure the seam goes corner-to-corner.


(TIP:  I have found I am more accurate when I skip drawing the line 
and cut the squares on the diagonal before stitching 1/4" from the cut edge.
I still need to trim to 4-1/2".)

Like Ramona said about Clue 2, it will probably take longer for your iron to heat up
than it will for you to make these units!

Let's plan to link up again on Monday to report our progress;
that is, assuming I've not been put in solitary confinement with my broken ankle.

Happy Stitching!

5 comments:

  1. I pair up the squares, slice along the diagonal, sew the seam, and square up the HST. I use a square-up ruler (mine is by Eleanor Burns, but there are others) so that I can trim before I press the unit open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just writing my RSC post for tomorrow and included your blocks because I used some green in them this week. I haven't made the HSTs yet, but if I do before Monday, I'll update it! Hope you're hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending healing thoughts your way! What's happening with that ankle?
    Easy clue! I'll hope to get them done over the weekend - it'll take me longer to get to the studio than it will to sew the triangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No surgery, just a boot ... as long as I don't go dancing or skiing ...

      Delete
  4. Lucky thing I got Clue 2 done the other night!! I'm just happy that your clues only take a few minutes to sew. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.